HF work bench (pretty good)

Just assembled the HF work bench. Bought it over 6 months ago when on sale. All of the parts are oak except for the drawer bottoms. With all the fasteners tightened the bench is surprisingly sturdy. The drawer slides are reasonable quality (4 drawers) and the bottoms are thick and sturdy. The built in vise is functional but obviously not the best. The only limitation seems to be the 60" width. Wider would be nicer. My use will probably be simply assembly and not heavy planing or sawing. All in all quite a bargain for $139 or less when on sale. (Better deal is full price of $150 but use of 20% coupon). At my age it will last the rest of my life. No connection to HF.
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-hardwood-workbench-69054.html
Ivan Vegvary

In this day and age you can't buy the wood for that price, let alone build it. All that counts in the end is that it suits your purpose ... Good buy.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Agree completely. Can't beat that price for a work bench.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:45:27 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
All of the parts are oak except for the drawer bottoms. With all the fasteners tightened the bench is surprisingly sturdy. The drawer slides are reasonable quality (4 drawers) and the bottoms are thick and sturdy. The built in vise is functional but obviously not the best. The only limitation seems to be the 60" width. Wider would be nicer. My use will probably be simply assembly and not heavy planing or sawing.

price of $150 but use of 20% coupon). At my age it will last the rest of my life.

Cool! You might toss a couple sandbags on the center of the feet for extra stability.

Those are probably nicely dovetailed drawers, huh? ;)
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

All of the parts are oak except for the drawer bottoms. With all the fasteners tightened the bench is surprisingly sturdy. The drawer slides are reasonable quality (4 drawers) and the bottoms are thick and sturdy. The built in vise is functional but obviously not the best. The only limitation seems to be the 60" width. Wider would be nicer. My use will probably be simply assembly and not heavy planing or sawing.

price of $150 but use of 20% coupon). At my age it will last the rest of my life.

I bought one of those about a year ago ($99, IIRC). I'll buy another, or two, if they go back on sale for that price. ;-) It's fine for a lot of work but I don't think I'll be planing or pounding on it. It's a little small, too.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:45:27 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
All of the parts are oak except for the drawer bottoms. With all the fasteners tightened the bench is surprisingly sturdy. The drawer slides are reasonable quality (4 drawers) and the bottoms are thick and sturdy. The built in vise is functional but obviously not the best. The only limitation seems to be the 60" width. Wider would be nicer. My use will probably be simply assembly and not heavy planing or sawing.

price of $150 but use of 20% coupon). At my age it will last the rest of my life.

I picked one up after seeing this post and it will work perfect next to the lathe for sharpening and laying out things needed for the job. It seems fairly sturdy for what it is.
Mike M