HF Quality

Page 2 of 2
In rec.woodworking

Since we're being pedantic, it is cycling from +120 to -120 volts, not 0.

If we want to be pedantic and correct, it would be +169 to - 169 volts.
120 volts is the root mean square of the peak voltage in the waveform.
Rich S.
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote:

True :)
On 15 Sep 2003 02:43:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote:

There's a piece of trivia that I never knew existed, let along the answer to it. It is like when I learned the word "defenestrate" in math class in 7th grade. Out of context, but interesting all the same. Oh, the wreck.

"defenestrate" ... filing that away under "great Scrabble words." :)
Rich S.

He's referring to inductance meters and you can buy them at almost any electric supply store. I bought mine at Home Depot for about $10-$15. It will detect an AC voltage when you get it near the wire.
Lance

Yes, but even w/ no current flowing -- i.e., nothing is operating on the circuit at the time?

Yes.
Lance
beats me how... i was tought that those pesky little electrons had to move to generate a magnetic field that any induction can be based upon...
irax.
Lance Spaulding wrote:

http://d2774266.u40.infinology.com/Leviton,835,49666,1R,,Tri,A,Light,Circuit,Tester--1-495336-B00002NAUZ-0-tools-product.html
Well thanks, but I don't think that will work well in the middle of a cable -- at least w/o stripping it.
RE: The Subject
HF doesn't offer "Quality" IMHO; however, they do provide a place for all the bottom feeders to shop.
Think it was John Ruskin who said something like, "You can always find someone with a lower price."
--
Lew

In rec.woodworking
"A fool and his money are soon parted" wrote:

LOL!
It was Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983) that said this:
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
In rec.woodworking

I was reading some of your other posts and found this:
"Porter Cable worte the definitive standard. If you can beat their performance, at a lower price, then do it."
Interesting comment. I bought a framing nailer at HF for $139. The parts are interchangeable with the Porter-Cable framing nailer available at Sams Club for $227. Mine drives nails like bullets and I built about 300' of fence with it and experienced no problems.
Your creed should be, "Ignorance is bliss" because you don't have the intelligence to determine what tools to buy at HF and what tools to buy elsewhere. Because of this, you default and buy them all elsewhere and look down your nose at the smart folks.
The Pacific rim does not engineer, they reverse engineer. It takes no brains to copy something. You go to a name brand tool store and buy your Swanson Speed Square (TM), I'll buy the one cast from a mold made from a Swanson and pay 1/4 the price.
Incidentally, when I started this thread, we were comparing a $274 Fluke Clamp Meter to a $17 Harbor Freight Clamp Meter. Guess which one reads 0.2 amps when measuring air? The Fluke and for low current, less than 3 amps or so, it adds that value to the displayed current, verified with a calibrated, current limited, laboratory model, bench power supply. So, pick you up one of those Flukes too but if you need accuracy, give me a call. I may loan you mine.
too great if I was wrong. Thanks. There

Always a smart idea to turn off the power first. Try to trace back the wires to the source though before you start snipping.