HF Multimaster

Page 2 of 3
evodawg wrote:

That's what Dremel does.
I don't know why Fein didn't originally put some kind of positive blade retention on their tool, but they didn't. The round shaft works well enough most of the time. As I said, they ultimately fixed it and provided a retrofit accessory for 10 bucks that should also work on the HF.
I can't really fault Harbor Freight because they seem to have been going for a clone and not a new improved design, and the only way they can make a completely compatible clone with positive retention is to use the star retention, which Fein has patented.
I don't know if Dremel has patented the dowel-based retention or not.
J. Clarke wrote:

I looked at Dremel at a trade show and the allen screw would not stay tight. Have heard they have a fix. I'm using the HF a lot and I'm satisfied with it. It's loosened a couple of times but hey what do you expect for 35.00. It's still better then using a Japanese saw to undercut and nothing but a Multi Tool works for cutting baseboard already attached to accommodate wider door casings.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

If it's only loosened a couple of times then it's doing about as well as the original Fein.

evodawg wrote:

I'd try either an internal or external "star" washer of the appropriate size.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

I agree, next time I'm at the hardware store picking up a few.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
J. Clarke wrote:

Used mine, today, to cut 2x4's flush to another 2x. No loosening.
I looked at it and thought of drilling a hole in the round part that receives the blade, Then sticking a pressure pin in there to line up with the holes in the blades. (The Dremel's have a lot of them, evenly spaced, 360 degrees.)
Just an idea.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Dang did the same thing today and used a power planner. Should have use the Multi tool,damn. I have to remember all this thing does!!!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Nah, you were right with the planer. I would've done the same thing, but I was inside and didn't want all the chips.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@bb.nothome.com wrote:

I often use my Fein with the blade set to an offset angle due to clearance problems. The limited access was why I was using the Fein in the first place.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Where did you find a Fein Multimaster for $35??
BTW, I need more blades right now, anyone know a good inexpensive place to buy them online. None of my local suppliers carry them.
Thanks, David
Amigo108 wrote:

I believe the Dremel blades will fit.
HF has an assortment of blades for their tool. A five-pack is $6.95 or thereabouts. They may fit your high-priced model.

hi, got the same problem.
$35 from:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
Multimaster? Not.

Larry
IME HFT are great about returns. Take it back, get your money or try a replacement unit. Low mfg tolerances may be the reason they sell a high number of duds in this design or it could be they don't have a good design. I would take it back for an exchange if I thought it was a matter of tolerances or similar and for money back if I determined it was a poor design.
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:01:09 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

...and the low price affects *all* of this, eh?

...so, you buy a knockoff tool for a *much* lower price than you know the original to sell for. Then take it home and use it until frustration sets in; and the realization that maybe it doesn't work all that well. Then take it back and ask for a refund. What a waste of time...and, of course, there's no ethical question here, either...
cg
Charlie Groh wrote:

No, there isn't. He's doing exactly what Harbor Freight's refund policy is intended to do--you find out that their cheap tool doesn't do what you need you take it back and then go buy something somewhere else that does.
J. Clarke wrote:

They have a giant sign is every store that reads, "100 Percent Satisfaction Guaranteed" followed by smaller print explaining their very liberal, customer friendly return policy.
--

-MIKE-

Charlie Groh wrote:

1. As long as you're going to HF, it's not a waste of time to get your money back. I don't make a trip to HD to return a hinge set - I toss it in the return bin. When the return bin gets full, I take everything back at once, usually when I'm about to make a big purchase. 2. I don't think there's an ethical question if the tool doesn't function as you expected. 3. HF's return policy is more than generous. I took back a $9.95 plastic air hose that burst and they replaced it with a $35, rubber, top-of-the-line model. I was more than satisfied.

HD is my 7/11 and I'm there 3,4,5 times a week...I do the same thing. My "waste of time" comment referred to the whole dang process... ;0)

...all well and good...my point being, I think, just what the hell *do* you expect? I'd like to think that there's a kernal of "what's right" in most people, hooked-up to a modicum of intelligence...so, just for the record, I, personally, wouldn't take back a $35 Multimaster under the circumstances described by the OP...it would be an object lesson and in the trash can. I *should have* known better. (believe me, plenty of times I've gone beyond with a tool or whatever and not tried to get my money back...just as I wouldn't sue Starbux for hot coffee *I* spilled in my lap).

...well, this is perfectly legit, and I think very cool on HF's part (at least that store)...not the same thing, though, the Multimaster in question didn't truly break, it just didn't live up to expectations.
cg
Here's an update on this from the OP: I believe that my plan of attack "trapped" the blade. I chose another angle of attach, supplemented by a bit of hammer and chisel, and got the job done without much fuss. Conclusion: the tool is worth the $35 and most of the problem was found in the dummy operating it.
Larry
Charlie Groh wrote:

Or, you find it works just fine for what you do with it and you keep it.
Or you take it back for a refund, like you said. They have a return policy, where's the ethical dilemma.
As for time... all I have is time. I use it to build stuff with tools I buy. :-)
By the way, I've taken back planty of expensive, name-brand tools, because they sucked. Quality isn't inherent in higher priced tools, though yeah, the odds are higher.
--

-MIKE-