HF Multimaster

Nutz. So I finally have something moderately productive to do with this new $35 gadget. I've got a 3+ inch deep dado in a 4x4, the side of which were cut on the bandsaw. And rather than chop out the waste, I figured my new multitool would make short work of it. It zapped thru the first half inch like the hot knife thru butter, then the blade loosened. OK, I mustn't have torqued it enough. So for the next 30 minutes, there was more in and out than I had on my wedding night. A few seconds of cutting then the blade came loose. I finally resorted to the old hammer and chisel. Multimaster? Not.

Any tips from any of you guys who went for the same deal?

Larry

Reply to
TD Driver

...$35 Multimaster...er...yeah. I bought the real thing when it was expensive and some of the situations that it's handled for me in the field have made it worth 4 times as much.

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

You got what you paid for.

What's to bitch about?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What? It's got cheap while I wasn't looking?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I bought one just to see if it worked. Used it the other day to cut out drywall for electrical boxes, worked great. Then tried it on some baseboard I needed to trim for wider case molding, worked great except the blade did loosen. I did have to tighten it a few times. Would have been better if the designer would have used the metal dowels to hold blade in place. But for

35 dollars it worked with some frustration.
Reply to
evodawg

Suggestions:

  • Did you use the grippy washer thingy?
  • You have really honk the bolt down double-tight (spot welding helps). A long-shaft allen wrench might help. *Use less pressure - let the tool do the work.
  • Perhaps the depth of the cut was so great that the wood was grabbing the blade. You're holding the tool. Something's got to give.
  • Try a 3/8" lock washer as part of the setup.
Reply to
HeyBub

If the motion of the blade is constrained by its knocking against an edge or the like then the blade on the original Multimaster comes loose too. I've had that happen more than once. Fein recognized the problem and changed the blade mount on the second or third generation to one that is star shaped. There is an adapter that has carbide teeth on the back to bite into the platen and prevent such loosening when using newer blades, but it would only work with Fein brand blades, not Harbor Freight which I Ibelieve have the round hole--the adapter is available for about ten bucks from Woodcraft. If you're willing to use only Fein blades you can have it spot welded so that there's no possibility of it moving, but a three pack of Fein E-cut blades costs more than the whole Harbor Freight tool so you may not want to do that.

The real trick though on deep plunges is to make sure that the cut is always wide enough to allow the blade full movement. That means cutting it a half inch or so deep then moving to a different spot until you've cut the whole width a half inch or so, then coming back and cutting another half inch or so until you're done.

If you've got some reaction wood that is binding the blade you may need to make a clearance cut as well, taking out little wedge shaped pieces, but that's rare.

Incidentally, if you decide to get Fein blades it pays to shop around--I don't know what gives with the pricing but it's bizarre. What's expensive one place is cheap another and vice versa (with "cheap" being a relative term--Fein blades are all ludicrously expensive for what they are).

Reply to
J. Clarke

heh heh..... Is that the official manual term?

This thing only come with one blade/cutter?

Sounds like a classic case of you get what you pay for. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Where did you find a Fein Multimaster for $35??

BTW, I need more blades right now, anyone know a good inexpensive place to buy them online. None of my local suppliers carry them.

Thanks, David

Reply to
Amigo108

I believe the Dremel blades will fit.

HF has an assortment of blades for their tool. A five-pack is $6.95 or thereabouts. They may fit your high-priced model.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, but I couldn't pronounce the Chinese name.

No, but if you're handicapped, you have additional concerns and expenses.

I learned to tighten the bolt as far as it would go, then 1/8th turn more. I assumed the OP had a strength problem and could use some mechanical help.

Reply to
HeyBub

I cranked down on that sumbitch as hard as I could, but I'm getting to be an old guy. I was thinking of having SWMBO come out and yell at it some. As someone noted, ya gets what ya pays for. I'll reserve this for thinner stuff and break out hammer and chisels for this piece of work.

Larry

HeyBub wrote:

Reply to
TD Driver

hi, got the same problem.

$35 from:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION

Reply to
rjd

I'm surprised the shaft is not keyed in some way. A couple of opposing parallel flats on the shaft end with similarly keyed blades and washer or cupped washer would seem a simple solution.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I'd say a stupid simple solution! But Nooooooooo Idiots designing tools that never use them.

Reply to
evodawg

Do you have good opposing argument or are you just an obnoxious ass?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Flats wouldn't work--they'd lock you into a single blade orientation. That's why the star, it allows a range of blade orientations.

Reply to
J. Clarke

DOH!

Of course you are right. I didn't even consider. Thanks for the clue. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yeah I do but nothing you'd be interested in. And Yes I'm an obnoxious ass.

Reply to
evodawg

You could put dowels in the holder at different locations and holes in the blade that would allow you to turn the blade and lock it to a desired position. Not the entire 360 degree but points in between.

Reply to
evodawg