HF Multifunction tool

So, now that everyone has gone out and purchased their insanely inexpensive HF multi-tool, how well do they work? C'mon, people. You bought 'em, you must've gone out and used 'em. Notched and old 2x4, offered to cut out that slightly off-color tile in your neigbor's bathroom, put a third unnecessary hinge in a door, somewhere. What happened to braggin' on yer new tool?

Seriously, I'd be interested to know. Just realized the HF m/t osillates at about half the speed of the insanely expensive Fein. Is that a drawback, or just a bit slower in application. Does the tool feel like it will still be functioning in, say, a year? Is JD Power likely to issue an award anytime soon? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The Dremel under discussion is

tool.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A new thread with a video was started on this tool.

well. Is surprisingly solid feeling so it will probably last. Don't know if it is a joke or not but they expect it to last so long they give you a set of motor brushes with it.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I've been thinking about the Bosch cordless version.

'd like to (IOW it's on the honeydew list) put a hearth in front of our (gas) fireplace but haven't figured out how to cut the bamboo flooring so I can inlay tile, of some sort. It looks dumb without a hearth and with one I could even burn wood. Why the builder didn't put one in I'll never know. Would this sort of tool do the job? The issue, of course, is cutting up to the wall, fireplace.

Reply to
krw

While cordless would be a nice feature, consider that this type tool sorta falls into the specialty tool category. Unless you know that you would actually use it as often as say a cordless drill you may want to get a corded model. I have the Fein corded and have used it often and it is great for handling those problem situations I run into but I probably only use it

10-12 times a year. It and the Bosch should last a life time, the batteries will not. I suspect that the batteries will die of old age and have to be replaced time and again rather than being worn out. Just something to think about.
Reply to
Leon

Yep. No problemo.

You might consider making the long cuts with a circular saw set to the correct depth and use the MF tool to sneak up to the intersections and the wall.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, certainly something to think about and I've replaced drills because they were the same price as replacement batteries. That said, I already a couple of the Bosch LithIon tools and would consider $80 of the purchase price to be additional batteries for the never-to-be- without-again "Impactor". ;-)

-- Keith

Reply to
keithw86

Yep. Cutting long straight lines is not its strong suit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks! It looks like that job just moved up the list. Justification for new toy, and all. ;-)

-- Keith

Reply to
keithw86

it's code to have a non-burnable hearth before a wood burning fireplace; it is not required to have one in front of a gas fireplace. guess which is cheaper?

Reply to
charlie

Understood. If the builder wanted to cheap out he wouldn't have bothered with a real chimney either. I'll probably stick with gas (propane) but I have to buy the logs too (not cheap). It still looks dumb without the hearth.

-- Keith

Reply to
keithw86