HF Dust collector??

like I said in the original post, it has to be an improvement on what I'm using now... 2 shop vacs and an open garage door..
<snip>

to get the stuff that worries the experts. It isn't just Harbor Freight.
However, catching the table saw and router table dust down to .3 microns doesn't do much, if you then run your random orbit sander without some means of dust collection.
The truly dedicated will get a mask, a ceiling filter, and a cyclone collector with good filters. Some of the others will move to hand tools, or working outside. For the truly paranoid, there's usually a game on television.
Do what you think is reasonable, in connection with your hobby, and the rest of your life and health habits.
Patriarch
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:04:47 GMT, patriarch

Thanks... I love your attitude.. have we closed a bar together before?? *g*
Just "restarting" my woodwoorking, I see that I have a lot of equipment to collect, but I know it's not reasonable to get it all now... I had a another talk with the wife tonight, after we read the posts... I think the plan now is to get the HF system and use it "as is" for now, while designing and building a filter system for the shop..
We're hoping to be buying a bigger place next year and building a shop if the place doesn't have a good "out building" (my wife is from N. Dakota) that can be used as one... It seems like I'm better not getting much more stuff for the garage and waiting to see how much space the next shop has and what I can put in before I move my tools in..
Maybe my wife will win the lotto and I'll have on built like Toms!

The only thing I would suggest adding is a "garbage can cyclone" thing to catch the big chips so you don't have to mess with the bag on the DC as often.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:29:36 -0800, Tim Douglass

thanks Tim.. I have one planned, but probably for the next shop... I don't generate enough chips or shavings yet to need one yet, not having a planer or jointer...
Maybe when I get a planer.. *g*
I just got one, have looked into lots of different makes and was really hesitant about the HF one, but after reading all these posts decided to try it and I must say that it works well, clears all the waste from the table saw, even the fine dust coming up through the top. Has HF changed the paint? it now matches my Grizzly saw instead on that off green color.

I've been playing with mine quite a bit, waiting for the damn hose and gate kit that's back ordered from HF and the stuff I bought on ebay... just have 2 dryer hoses and a home made cyclone..
I haven't seen ANY dust come through the bag... used it on RAS, sander box, (overkill, going back to vac there), on the shop floor and in the driveway for my neighbors pesky shedding tree dropping tons of tiny leaves.. (hey, I'm testing it, and it was closer than the leaf blower) So far, I can't feel anything in either bag.. it all seems to go into the cyclone... what a great invention! I'm making a smaller one for the shop vac!!
mac davis wrote:

Mac...
Would you please post pix of your home made cyclone to a.b.p.w?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

well, it's embarrassingly ugly, but I'll shoot a few this weekend, if I have a sober moment.. *g*
basically, I bought 2 prepackaged "screw on" dryer connection kits at lowes for $15 each.. they came with a metal hose and 2 elbows each..
I ran one hose from the DC to an elbow stuck in a hole in the top of a plastic garbage can lid, put the other elbow inside the lid, sticking through the hole and clamped the other hose on.. the inside elbow seems to create the cyclone.. I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend..
wow.. replying to my own post again.. weird!
I took a few and put them up on ABPW this morning before the family got here... let the eating and drinking begin... bow to the football gods and life will be good..