HF Dovetail Jig

Well, I ordered a Harbor Freight dovetail jig today. I've read all the newsgroup comments and downloaded the manual and feel pretty confident. Since I have never used a dovetail jig, I will write this newgroup my experience with it. This jig is marketed under many names, including Jet.
What's the item number of the one your ordered? I'm also interested in one of these so I thought I'd check it out.

Ditto
Yes its true they look alot alike, however the difference is the plastic template vs the aluminum. I had the HF jig but sent it back due to flexing of the template fingers. I got the Jet jig and its template is aluminum. Solved the problem. The plastic one flexed just enough during use that repeatability was almost impossible. To be honest I got somewhat decent results with it, its just that there always seemed to be one or two loose tails in each joint. The Jet doesnt do this. Good luck with it and let us hear how it works for you!
Jim

Here is a much better manual for it: http://www.woodstockinternational.com/manuals/d2796m.pdf . I bought mine a year or two ago and bought a replacement aluminum template, but to be honest haven't ever used the jig. It appears this basic jig is sold by numerous companies and all appear to be essentially the same. I don't know the cost between the HF and say the JET version, but you can buy the aluminum templates at reasonable cost to fit the HF (I think the one I bought might actually have been made by JET). In any case, the instructions above are better written than the ones that came with my HF jig.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Brian Turner" < snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net> wrote in message
Id like to add to what Larry said about the manual. The one I got with both jigs really sucked. I haven't looked at the one Larry spoke of but I'm sure its got to be better. The jigs I saw at HF were like $45 or something and the Jet jig is/was $54 when I got it. The templates (aluminum) are $22-$27 depending on where and which one you get so you're better off to just buy the better Jet jig from the start. Also my Jet is white not blue like the picture. For those of you that color coordinate your shop!! har har
Jim

If you can buy the Jet with an aluminum template for only $9 more I'd go for the JET. I bought my HF from one of their catalogs I seem to get daily. The stuff on the cover is usually 1/2 price and I got the jig for $20. The aluminum template jumped in my cart one day at a local WW store for $10. Total price of only $30, but if Jim has his numbers right I'd go with the JET.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"James D Kountz" < snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net> wrote in message

The one I bought for $20 last week was, and came with 5 router bits.
I just got a template guide today, so I haven't actually used it, but it looks to be about the same as ones I have used before that were fine.
I'm sure he's referring to the template guide being black plastic rather than aluminum. The jig itself is probably aluminum, but I'd have to go find it to check and that ain't going to happen. The HF jig I bought had a black plastic template although I bought a separate aluminum one from someone else later.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Toller" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
The one I got delivered from HF for $29 has the aluminum template
Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

OK, it seems there are two jigs from HF. One comes with bits and stuff and the other doesnt. Im not sure which is which but I do know the one I got the template was plastic. Black to be exact. It was the one that was no good. If you can get the jig with an aluminum template for $29 thats absolutely the way to go!
Jim