HF Clamps on Sale

Went to HF today in Indianapolis and saw 24" cast iron and steel clamps on sale for $4.99 and the 6" ones for $2.99. Looked like really good quality for the money. I think Lew mentioned them to me the first time. I am only mentioning this because I did not see the sale advertised in their fliers. I picked up 4 and 6 of them, respectively. I hope that will be enough to get me started. Following someone else's suggestion I looked them all over carefully, so I didn't bring home any that were bent or ill-fitting.

I have felt drawn to C-clamp vise-grips lately (for the sake of fastening a

2 or 3 inch high board/fence to my band saw). Is this an appropriate use for those clamps (the ones with the flat faces). Anyone experience major quality issues concerning different makers of these? From what I've read, I notice some open to 4" or so and I suppose those are the ones I would get.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On 2/26/2010 8:51 PM Bill spake thus:

Well, you know what they say: you can't be too rich, too thin or have too many clamps.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

RE: Subject:

96213-0VGA When this one really goes on sale, grab a dozen.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Those are the ones I got for $4.99. Do the prices get better than that? BTW, feels like a very nice clamp!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I caught a fire sale, somerwhere around $2 EA.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't like to cuss or fuss, so I won't buy these. Can we say "Made in China?"

Reply to
Phisherman

More for the rest of us to buy.

Reply to
SBH

Just keep the receipt. If they were to break, take them back.

Mike > Went to HF today in Indianapolis and saw 24" cast iron and steel clamps on

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

What I notice about those is that they bend. They can only take so much force, then the bar just bends back, then it has a curve on it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Now... come on... sometimes you do. And if you weren't looking to, why post something like that instead of staying on topic? Did you think we were waiting to see if you were actually going to buy them? Didn't you just want to get your dig in about China?

I hope in your case of Sinophobia you will take your computer out and smash it, since not doubt all or 98% of the parts were made offshore, mostly in China, Taiwan, or Malaysia. Same with your cell phone and television.

Unless you are a full time professional woodworker, your tools take only a small part of your money, and are used proportionally very little compared to the aforementioned devices. So why be upset about tool origins? Shouldn't you extend your personal beliefs across all of your possesions?

Using the country origin as the reason to own/not own tools, you will probably want to rid yourself of your DeWalt tools, Porter Cable tools, Milwaukee tools, Makita tools, Hitachi tools, Jet tools, Powermatic tools, Grizzly tools and on an on. Start with the Chinese first.

And unless you are a Geotard =AE, you will remember that Taiwan is actually, "Taiwan, Republic of China". So make sure you take your Taiwanese stuff out and give it "what for" as well.

But please, while you are striking a blow for America, take out those stinking German tools as well. They took manufacturing jobs away from us as well, right? And they charge prices that exceed American built prices of the same tools! Wow, how is that for an "in your face" style of marketing?

And any argument you could make to use Fein, Festool, Metabo, some Bosch tools, etc., could be used against you since theoretically they manufactured here as well. It's all about jobs, right? A person of high moral fiber wouldn't see and actual race, nation, or group, just the fact that they "took" jobs.

Regardless, in keeping with principle, if they

Reply to
nailshooter41

Sure glad my computer or the Internet doesn't run on Chinese rubber ... damn that stuff stinks!

Bought hard rubber wheels at HF to replace the pneumatic ones on one of those Chinese, Sam's special hand carts ... you know, the ones that hold air for only five minutes ... and had to air out the shop for three years!

;)

... Just kidding.

The best of products, from horseshoes to houses, all have one thing in common, and it's not country of origin:

_SUPERVISION_

Reply to
Swingman

I got a huge laugh out of that one. About 7-8 years ago I bought a "rubber" hose for my paint gun since my vinyl hoses were too stiff to use in the winter.

This was HF brand, not Goodyear.

Those damn hoses stunk so much you could smell them in the open air in the bed of the truck!

Worse, (I honestly think they may have been uncured) they stretched like a rubber band, and were so soft they caught on everything.

Worse than that, they were so soft they left black marks on the floor inside a house when you stepped on them! I always step on the hoses... I have a size 13 shoe...

I hadn't thought of that POS in years! in less than a year that hose had disintegrated to the point of unusable.

BUT.... it was less than 1/3 of the price of the Goodyear!

Actually, a bad deal at any price.

Amen, brother.

With that in mind, you should make your company motto (now seriously... think of this on your business card ;^) ) "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing!"

(Leave the doowops off...)

*chuckle*

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote

There ya go.

With a picture of Swingman standing there with a Festool in one hand and a bass in the other.

I like it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Castleton or Southern Plaza? I was in the former, killing time until Rockler opened and I could buy some of the $9.99 router bits.

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

I was at Southern Plaza.

I saw those Rockler bits advertised--do they have carbide on them (I thought the ad would have said so if it were the case)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:16:27 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

I like the 6-inchers, the 24-inchers, and the 36-inchers and have bought several dozen of them when on sale for as low as $1.50 each. I love it!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Packaging claims carbide.

Reply to
Steve

I know this may be nixing apples and oranges but how do these compare to the Bessys?

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 06:57:30 -0500, the infamous eclipsme scrawled the following:

I've toyed with Bessey clamps (at stores and in friends' shops) and they're OK, but I have never seen the need to spend more for a tool than I need to and have always bought HFs, always on sale.

All my clamps are cheapies and, other than the occasional mark left when I used too thin a pad, I've had no problems with them. Bar, C, quickclamps (one early HF model was bogus, so one got tossed), pipe. All are imports and all work as stated. Spray a bit of lube on the threads, run them up and down half a dozen times to get the burrs off, and you're good to go for years. Not a prob.

With about 50 clamps, compared to Besseys, I'm easily $1,000 ahead. ($1.50-$5 each vs. $25 each) That's a lot of tools-worth.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Anyone else have opinions on the Rockler bits? Good---or just good for the money?

Bill

Reply to
Bill