HF Clamps on Sale

Page 1 of 2
Went to HF today in Indianapolis and saw 24" cast iron and steel clamps on sale for $4.99 and the 6" ones for $2.99. Looked like really good quality for the money. I think Lew mentioned them to me the first time. I am only mentioning this because I did not see the sale advertised in their fliers. I picked up 4 and 6 of them, respectively. I hope that will be enough to get me started. Following someone else's suggestion I looked them all over carefully, so I didn't bring home any that were bent or ill-fitting.
I have felt drawn to C-clamp vise-grips lately (for the sake of fastening a 2 or 3 inch high board/fence to my band saw). Is this an appropriate use for those clamps (the ones with the flat faces). Anyone experience major quality issues concerning different makers of these? From what I've read, I notice some open to 4" or so and I suppose those are the ones I would get.
Bill
On 2/26/2010 8:51 PM Bill spake thus:

Well, you know what they say: you can't be too rich, too thin or have too many clamps.

- a Usenet "apology"
RE: Subject: 96213-0VGA When this one really goes on sale, grab a dozen.
Lew

Those are the ones I got for $4.99. Do the prices get better than that? BTW, feels like a very nice clamp!
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

I caught a fire sale, somerwhere around $2 EA.
Lew
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:16:27 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

I like the 6-inchers, the 24-inchers, and the 36-inchers and have bought several dozen of them when on sale for as low as $1.50 each. I love it!
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
On 2/28/2010 12:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I know this may be nixing apples and oranges but how do these compare to the Bessys?
Harvey
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 06:57:30 -0500, the infamous eclipsme

I've toyed with Bessey clamps (at stores and in friends' shops) and they're OK, but I have never seen the need to spend more for a tool than I need to and have always bought HFs, always on sale.
All my clamps are cheapies and, other than the occasional mark left when I used too thin a pad, I've had no problems with them. Bar, C, quickclamps (one early HF model was bogus, so one got tossed), pipe. All are imports and all work as stated. Spray a bit of lube on the threads, run them up and down half a dozen times to get the burrs off, and you're good to go for years. Not a prob.
With about 50 clamps, compared to Besseys, I'm easily $1,000 ahead. ($1.50-$5 each vs. $25 each) That's a lot of tools-worth.
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:12:30 -0800, Larry Jaques

It depends on what you're looking for or need in a clamp. I've never been particularly impressed with the adjustability capabilities of Bessey clamps, but that's not why I like them. For me, the ability to sit flat and square while not tipping over is what I like. So, to that end, the fill my needs quite well. Add in a set of KP blocks and you've got and instant panel door clamping setup.
On 2/28/2010 12:23 PM, Upscale wrote:

Bingo ... I've got most every clamp imaginable, including a few different HF flavors, but when it comes to keeping components "flat and square" (saving the biggest cost of all over every stage of a project: time), I generally grab a Bessey parallel jaw. In critical glue-ups I want every advantage I can get in my favor and never regretted the cost of the four dozen or so Bessey parallel jaw clamps in the shop.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 2/28/2010 2:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

I agree regarding the Bessy parallel jaws (ie: K Body)and they are my go to clamp for those needs, but I simply can not afford as many of them as of the Bessy Tradesman. It is this style that I think is most appropriate to compare to.
So let me rephrase the question. How does this HF clamp - 24" = $6.99; http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber213
compare to this Bessy clamp - 24" = $$13.49? http://www.woodpeck.com/besseytradesmenbarclamps.html
I mean other than being half the price.
Harvey

I've fond that it depends on the thickness and width of the bars. The bars on the Bessy clamps in those pics look wider than the HF's.
I've had generic bar clamps, like those, over 18" bend before you feel like you have enough pressure on them.
I think you could buy a Bessy from HD or Lowes, and take it to HF to compare. Return the Bessy if the HF's work out.
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:34:33 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

I've found that the HF 30" or 36" will bend a little, but the only time I've seen the 24" or smaller bend is when I'm overclamping to make up for a some slop that shouldn't be there.
HF used to, and may still, have two different "brands" of bar clamps. The Pittsburgh work well, the others are junk.
As to pipe clamps, my experience has been that the heavy duty 3/4" work fine, the others don't.

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:23:42 -0500, the infamous Upscale

I think I've needed that once, and to make it happen, I put a wooden handscrew clamp on the end of the first bar clamp. Mission accomplished.
KP blocks?
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:45:50 -0800, Larry Jaques

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pQ086&cat=1,43838
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 03:36:51 -0500, the infamous Upscale

They'd work on my cheap clamps, too, I'll bet, but it really irks me to see prices like that on little plastic parts.
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I'll bet you could make something like that out of wood. Cut the appropriately sized dado in some twoby scrap to the depth of your choice. Repeat as needed to get a full set.

I don't like to cuss or fuss, so I won't buy these. Can we say "Made in China?"

More for the rest of us to buy.

Now... come on... sometimes you do. And if you weren't looking to, why post something like that instead of staying on topic? Did you think we were waiting to see if you were actually going to buy them? Didn't you just want to get your dig in about China?

I hope in your case of Sinophobia you will take your computer out and smash it, since not doubt all or 98% of the parts were made offshore, mostly in China, Taiwan, or Malaysia. Same with your cell phone and television.
Unless you are a full time professional woodworker, your tools take only a small part of your money, and are used proportionally very little compared to the aforementioned devices. So why be upset about tool origins? Shouldn't you extend your personal beliefs across all of your possesions?
Using the country origin as the reason to own/not own tools, you will probably want to rid yourself of your DeWalt tools, Porter Cable tools, Milwaukee tools, Makita tools, Hitachi tools, Jet tools, Powermatic tools, Grizzly tools and on an on. Start with the Chinese first.
And unless you are a Geotard , you will remember that Taiwan is actually, "Taiwan, Republic of China". So make sure you take your Taiwanese stuff out and give it "what for" as well.
But please, while you are striking a blow for America, take out those stinking German tools as well. They took manufacturing jobs away from us as well, right? And they charge prices that exceed American built prices of the same tools! Wow, how is that for an "in your face" style of marketing?
And any argument you could make to use Fein, Festool, Metabo, some Bosch tools, etc., could be used against you since theoretically they <<could be>> manufactured here as well. It's all about jobs, right? A person of high moral fiber wouldn't see and actual race, nation, or group, just the fact that they "took" jobs.
Regardless, in keeping with principle, if they <<aren't made here>>, they should be avoided, right?
I hope your personal integrity is as strong as it seems. I would hate to see that you only have occasional integrity. That's called hypocrisy.
We will have a sure sign of the strength of your beliefs because upon reflection, I am sure we won't see any more posts as you will have undoubtedly destroyed your computer, refused to use the internet that runs on foreign made routers that uses foreign made computers to do so.
If we see your posts again.... no doubt posted with all that Chinese equipment crafted while looking at a Chinese screen to do it....
Well....
Robert