HF brad nailer quality?

Harbor Freight has their 18 ga brad nailer on sale for $20 until Christmas Eve. Granted, 20 bucks is not much to risk, but I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on how well it works? My plan is to use it to attach some cedar paneling to closet walls and I figure to get thru the paneling + sheetrock and into the wall studs will take about a 2" brad, which I think is the limit of this particular nailer. Comments?
TT
I have one and it works great. I wish it would take 1 1/4 brads, but they are plentiful around Atlanta. I also have the brad/stapler kit that has never failed me. It takes 1 1/4 brads. You might want to see if that deal is still on too. I think it was around $25. I paid $14 for the other one when they were on sale.

Ya know....that just may be an excellent idea. Considering how easy cedar panels can split so easily if not pre-drilled, using an 18ga. nailer should eliminate that and make the job easier. If it only lasts for that one job, then you got your money's worth.
Bob S.

Their better nailer has worked for about 4 boxes of nails without a hitch. Think it was about $49 or so on sale. John
I've had the $15 18 gauge nailer for about 2 years now and had my first jam after about 5000 nails. Took about a minute to clear the jam (looked like a badly formed nail was the cause) and it was off and running again.
This MUST be the best tool deal around.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jliferjr99) wrote in

It's only $20, it wont break the bank I have one of these nailers and it works great for me. But I don't use it every day. Just make sure you keep it clean and use oil, it should be fine.
It seems they keep changing the version they sell, sometimes they sell several versions at once. I have one of the $15 versions from a few years ago and it's been a super buy, but I don't know about the current version. Based on my positive experience plus others I keep hearing that have had the same experience I'd say give it a try.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"TT" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
Thanks for all the comments. I'll give it a shot. We've got a local store here, so I'll go by on the weekend and get one to try.
TT
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 00:03:23 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

I have the 1/2 - 2" version. Got it on sale for $19.95 and am ecstatic with the results. Used it for almost 9 months now with only one jam. Get it! For this kind of low cost, if it falls to pieces in a month or two you've got you're money's with.
Joey

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:07:48 GMT, "Joseph Smith"

Same here, I paid $25 for the 2" brad nailer. It haven't jam on me yet. It even came with a spare piston. Why pay over $100 when you can it for almost free. Last week I picked up a set of hole saw (8 sizes, I think) for $1.99. Can you believe $1.99?

Mine works well, though it's sensitive to the pressure used. I run mine about 80 PSI. Much less and the nails don't fully seat, much more and they go too deep in the piece.
I mostly use it for fastening trim molding to plywood pieces.
I do wish it would use larger nails, but then again i got what I paid for...
Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
The question isn't "are there weapons of mass destruction?", the question is "who has them now?"
http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/testimony/default.asp http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/iraqweaponsgap.asp

I bought one about 9 months ago, used it some. Works fairly well, but about every 10-15th shot, doesn't fire a brad. Not a big deal, would complain if it was more expensive
tim

A friend of mine has one and it works well, but the metal in them is pretty low quality. He had a nail jam and it broke the plate at the front of the nailer. He just made up a new one out of a piece of steel and it works fine, but it did make me wonder a bit.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
I don't know what brand theirs is, but I recently bought the "Task Force" 18 ga. nailer--so far, real pleased with it! Wish I'd seen the Harbor Freight deal--paid almost $50 for mine from Lowe's
-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!
TT wrote:

I have the cheap brad nailer and the 1/4" crown stapler. I love them both. They are almost, not quite as good as my dad's Senco nail gun, but they cost 1/10th the price. My next planned purchse will be the HF equivalent to the Senco LS-5 which shoots finish nails up to 2". I'll be buying it as soon as I see it on sale.
I have the HF 16 ga nailer. 3/4" to 2" nails. My first one jammed regulary then the cast iron piece that covers the nail feed slot broke. Got another one no questions asked. I have paneled a 12'x16' room and it has worked great. I'm sure it will not last like a Senco etc. but it is fine for my use. Looking at the HF site it seems the $20 one is 18-19 ga up to 1 3/16 brads. I bought the extended warranty after the first one died............Jay

I got the $20 HF 18 ga on sale yesterday. It's the version that handles up to 2" brads. Works great when hooked up to my 14 galllon air tank and no noise from the compressor! It came with 2000 nails (1000 1-1/8" and 1000 1-1/2") in the box, which I hadn't expected. I picked up another 1000 2" nails and it shoots them all just fine. Sure can't complain for the price. HF also had a brass quick coupler set on sale for less than $2, which makes connecting and disconnecting a snap. Going into that store is like going into a toy store for adults!!!
TT

For the price, you just can't beat it. I wouldn't get any precision tools at HF, or anything I had to rely on to produce perfect corners or cuts, but it isn't like an air nailer is the most precision-critical tool in the shop or anything. So long as it shoots where you aim it and you can adjust the depth, the HF works just fine for most woodworkers. Why pay for a Senco when you don't need to?
my first nail gun was a taiwanese pin nailer, probably an earlier generation if HF's current maachine. it was miserable... if you drove nails longer than about 2/3 it's rated length the driver would bend. the aluminum magazine developed a wear pattern from the slight heads on the brads that caused the stick of nails to not feed. I pitched the POS and bought quality guns from there out. that said, the taiwanese guns have come a long way since then.     Bridger
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:59:30 GMT, Brian Henderson