HF Bandsaw riser discontinued...ideas???

Page 2 of 2

So Tim, you are saying that his deal for the entire riser kit, and the need for drilling one hole, is somehow a worse deal than something you have found? Please elaborate.
Digger
I don't think that was what TIm was saying at all. He suggested replacing one part of the kit -- the upper blade guide rod -- with one that ends up fitting better in a stock machine. I agree with Tim on the grounds that it is very difficult to precisely drill out the blade guide hole than to find a precisely sized 3/4" steel rod and adapt it. If you screw up on drilling out the hole, it affects the blade to guide distance as you adjust the height of the guide above the table (i.e. you end up not being parallel to the blade).
As an aside, I bought the Ridgid riser kit and adapted it to my Taiwanese no-name bandsaw (Grizzly clone) without problems. The only snag was the upper blade guide rod again. In my case, the hole to accept the mount on the guide was too small and had to be drilled out. I took the guide to a machine shop and paid them the equivalent of a couple dollars to precisely ream out the hole on a milling machine because I lacked the necessary tools at home. It was money well spent.
"Digger" <DW> wrote in message

need
need
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:25:40 +0200, "Robert MacKinnon"
snip
i got in on this one late. . .but here goes.
the riser kit you need from HF is STILL available. its not a "kit" nor does it really have a "part number" its a "replacement part" and if the gonad on the other end of the line at the HF order center does not know to punch the numbers in as a replacement part, they will say its discontinued. i have the kit numbers here somewhere, and i'll post em asap
Traves

it
tools
Thank You. I was not following him. I understand the guide rod part, but several have said that drilling it was no problem. Considering that, I thought he was comparing what he said, to the price and meed to drill the hole. I just couldn't make that work in my mind, so I was hoping som,eone would lay it out.

Looks like you misunderstood, Harbor Freight no longer carries the riser block through the customer service department. They now have it in the catalog. Item 09645-OBFA fits item number 32208 - it's listed at $49.99
The last few months Harbor Freight has been adding many new items to the catalog including several router bit sets, only wished I knew how good they were, a cabinet maker kit for less then $100.00 sounds goods. I paid twice that much for my Freud set, and don't know if the Freud is any better.