HF 14" Bandsaw, Anyone have one?

I 'm looking at buying a bandsaw. I know I want a 14". Does anyone have an opinon on the Harbor Frieght one? It wont get used alot, but I would like to not have to replace it 5 years from now.

Thanks Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ben -

About 5, 6 years ago, I purchased the 3 (4?) speed 14 HF Woodworking Bandsaw on sale for about $220. I also ordered the riser kit to extend the resaw capability to 12". It took for....ev...............er.... to get it, a couple of months. IIRC, the saw went together without any trouble.

Make no mistake, it's not a PM or Laguna, but it has served me well and was worth the money. The guides and table trunnions are a bit on the light side, and frankly, if you were doing a lot of resawing or veneer making, you'd want a better saw. But, for 2 or 300 bucks, I think it's worth it.

I use it mostly for curved parts and some veneer and resaw work. I think it's the same saw as some of the branded chaiwanese imports, with the exception of the guides.

Others will chime in...

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

I've had the single speed version (think I paid 199 for it about ten years ago) and it's served me well. I almost exclusively use it for cutting chair seats out of 2" thick pine. Once in a while, I'll do a small resaw, but it wants to overheat bad.

Reply to
mark

I have the 4-speed 14" HF bandsaw as well. It does OK. I did replace the stock blade right away and added cool blocks to it. It doesn't get a lot of use, but I didn't hire it for for a lot of use, either. It does the curve cutting tasks that I need done just fine and if it was made on a Monday it would probably have been painted JET ivory rather than Harbor Fright green.

Reply to
Steve