Hey, a woodworking post!

When I installed mine, I used a scrap of the baseboard to mark the cutouts where the bed and cabinets went against the wall. Didn't want to have to replace the baseboard if I ever move the Murphy bed, although after wrestling the thing in from the gar^H^H^Hshop, if I move the bed stays.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

> Sweet! How do you like that style of Murphy hardware? Are they easy

Rockler has the hardware kit on sale for $249.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:4dee7efd$0$9675$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

It's agood idea to look for sales and/or use a coupon for the hardware. The instructions are indeed good, especially when you combine the printed version with the video version. Do pay attention with the measuring, though. I made 2 extra openings for the legs/handles because of incorect measuring from the corners. Now covered up by blackboard inserts that almost completely cover the front when in the "up" position (It was/is for my 4 year-old grandson).

Reply to
Han

Well, I've seen the nitrogen-charged shocks for hatchbacks going at $25 a pop, and adding 4 brackets and 2 pivots doesn't seem to add up to $300 to me, but I'm an awfully frugal SOB most of the time.

brackets at $6.05 each
guess they must be either green or medical, huh?

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

List price, 64.00 they must be complex or made of platinum.

Reply to
Rich

> Sweet! How do you like that style of Murphy hardware? Are they easy

Well first off the kit comes with a rather complex and detailed set of plans for the bed. There is a separate set of plans for both a particle board construction and plywood construct bed.

Then there is a separate set of plans for suggestions of how to add other pieces to complement the bed and different molding suggestions for the bed.

The there is a DVD that goes for about an hour with detailed instructions also.

Then there are the hinges for the legs the HD pivot plates for the to hing on, ball joint attachment plates for theboth sides of the bed and the casing tower sides.

Nuts, bolts, and washers. Mattress retainer straps and bed swing stops.

Then to top it all off there is a 10 year warranty on the parts.

Installation is really easy with a helper and after you carry the thing to the ropom it will be set up in. Manuvering it to the room is really the hardest part. There is a strict order of assembly of the components to prevent an accident/it toppling down top of you.

I would buy it again in a heart beat, the parts are average to high quality and the instructions are spot on in detail.

The kit is also available so that it pivots down from one side rather from the head end. This makes the unit shorter in height but longer in width.

Reply to
Leon

It is worth something that they will stand behind those gas shocks for

10 years. Having worked in the automotive world I saw lots of failures since the mid 70's.
Reply to
Leon

Agreed and IIRC it is stated to pay attention to the details and measurements on the drawings. They some times differ from the video. The video is more of a show and tell and visually answers questi9ns you may have. The instructions are to be precicely adheared to.

Reply to
Leon

Nah. Just "dealer markup".

-- Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>>> Sweet! How do you like that style of Murphy hardware? Are they easy

Interesting. I hadn't seen much of that advertised on the websites.

OK, all that makes it a lot easier to handle the price. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Some mfgrs want $165 for that addition.

-- Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And just to add a bit more, before buying the kit I called and talked to the company and asked if I could get a copy of the instructions so that I could design and work up a bid. I wanted to sell the bed before committing the $300. They were happy to e-mail me a PDF of the instructions.

Reply to
Leon

Cool. Was that Rockler or the mfgr?

-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The manufacturer.

down, they encourage questions.