Hey, a woodworking post!

Page 2 of 3
Leon wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5807616639/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5807616813/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
Thats what I thought. I'll install the bed and cabinets on either side first, then install the baseboards ( 7" high ) on each side to complete. I have an extra piece of baseboard already painted to fit the wall in case they ever decide to relocate the bed or just remove it.
Thanks, Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On 06/07/2011 09:35 AM, Rich wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5807616639/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5807616813/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
When I installed mine, I used a scrap of the baseboard to mark the cutouts where the bed and cabinets went against the wall. Didn't want to have to replace the baseboard if I ever move the Murphy bed, although after wrestling the thing in from the gar^H^H^Hshop, if I move the bed stays.

Sweet! How do you like that style of Murphy hardware? Are they easy to install? (How can they get nearly $300 for that?)
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

I have the hardware I just haven't built the bed yet. Once you look in the box, the $300.00 price tag seems rather reasonable. The hardware package is very complete and well made. The instructions are the best I have seen in a long time.

Well, I've seen the nitrogen-charged shocks for hatchbacks going at $25 a pop, and adding 4 brackets and 2 pivots doesn't seem to add up to $300 to me, but I'm an awfully frugal SOB most of the time.
http://www.nextag.com/hatch-strut/products-html
complex brackets at $6.05 each http://goo.gl/mNXRf
I guess they must be either green or medical, huh?
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

List price, 64.00 they must be complex or made of platinum.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Nah. Just "dealer markup".
-- Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can. -- Mark Twain
On 6/7/2011 10:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

It is worth something that they will stand behind those gas shocks for 10 years. Having worked in the automotive world I saw lots of failures since the mid 70's.

On 06/07/2011 09:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Rockler has the hardware kit on sale for $249.

It's agood idea to look for sales and/or use a coupon for the hardware. The instructions are indeed good, especially when you combine the printed version with the video version. Do pay attention with the measuring, though. I made 2 extra openings for the legs/handles because of incorect measuring from the corners. Now covered up by blackboard inserts that almost completely cover the front when in the "up" position (It was/is for my 4 year-old grandson).
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/7/2011 3:35 PM, Han wrote:

Agreed and IIRC it is stated to pay attention to the details and measurements on the drawings. They some times differ from the video. The video is more of a show and tell and visually answers questi9ns you may have. The instructions are to be precicely adheared to.
On 6/7/2011 11:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well first off the kit comes with a rather complex and detailed set of plans for the bed. There is a separate set of plans for both a particle board construction and plywood construct bed.
Then there is a separate set of plans for suggestions of how to add other pieces to complement the bed and different molding suggestions for the bed.
The there is a DVD that goes for about an hour with detailed instructions also.
Then there are the hinges for the legs the HD pivot plates for the to hing on, ball joint attachment plates for theboth sides of the bed and the casing tower sides.
Nuts, bolts, and washers. Mattress retainer straps and bed swing stops.
Then to top it all off there is a 10 year warranty on the parts.
Installation is really easy with a helper and after you carry the thing to the ropom it will be set up in. Manuvering it to the room is really the hardest part. There is a strict order of assembly of the components to prevent an accident/it toppling down top of you.
I would buy it again in a heart beat, the parts are average to high quality and the instructions are spot on in detail.
The kit is also available so that it pivots down from one side rather from the head end. This makes the unit shorter in height but longer in width.

Interesting. I hadn't seen much of that advertised on the websites.
OK, all that makes it a lot easier to handle the price. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Some mfgrs want $165 for that addition.
-- Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can. -- Mark Twain
On 6/8/2011 7:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And just to add a bit more, before buying the kit I called and talked to the company and asked if I could get a copy of the instructions so that I could design and work up a bid. I wanted to sell the bed before committing the $300. They were happy to e-mail me a PDF of the instructions.

Cool. Was that Rockler or the mfgr?
-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon
On 6/9/2011 8:58 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The manufacturer.
http://www.wallbed.com /
Scroll down, they encourage questions.
<snip>

Come on, for $10 you can get 75 years of abpw. My 10-spot paid for 25 GB in June of 2008. I still have 24 GB to go.
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/4/11 6:15 PM, Han wrote:

Why pay *anything* when there are a ton of *free* galleries out there that are MUCH better for the viewer and user?
--

-MIKE-

Yabbut, it's one pic posted and then at least seventy five "Kudo" posts praising it, even if the Pièce de Résistance is a flipping bird house made of pineywood, or some silly bow saur. Crikey...

But most clients don't have newsgroup awareness or access. Free picture posting sites are all over the internet and they're great. Some folks post pics on their own websites, too, which is better.
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+picture+hosting
Some, like Google, make you use their proprietary programs (Picasa, etc.) which can be a real PITA.
Others make you sign in, which is a PITA.
Flickr, ImageShack, and PhotoBucket are pretty cool.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
On 6/4/11 10:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

That constitutes a PITA in your life? really?
BTW you have to sign in to newsgroups, too. But you probably have your username and password already in your newsreader settings and it signs in automatically..... which is the same thing *any* web browser worth its salt does using the cookies the website stores in the browser's preference file.
--

-MIKE-