Hex bit storage?

I have a wee bit of a problem.
I've collected (well okay, accumulated) a whole bunch of hex bits that I use a lot, and I'm trying to find some way to keep them. Ideally, the storage method would be:
- solid, so that it doesn't fall apart or have some dopey plastic hinge that breaks
- secure, so that it doesn't fall open while in the toolbox
- allows me to see what's where at a glance.
Rough calculation shows that I have nearly 50 different bits that I use (multiple sizes of each of slot, Philips, Pozi, Torx, Robertson, tri-wing, span, clutch, etc., etc., etc.).
I've DAGS, and I can find tools with storage handles, or sets that come in a storage box, but I haven't found anything that's *just* the storage.
Any thoughts from the collected wisdom here?
Dave O'Heare oheareATmagmaDOTca
Dave O'Heare wrote:

Try http://www.jensentools.com/product/group.asp?parent_id 40 part 907-037. You don't really need a top and bottom. Many of my bits almost need pliers to get them out of the case. Joe

Thanks, this looks like a good bet.
Dave O'H oheareATmagmaDOTca
"Dave O'Heare" <oheareATmagmaDOTca> wrote:

I use the little yellow DeWalt box the Orange Borg sells.

Yeah, that would be good IF there was some way to get more inserts for the box without having to buy a whole new box with more bits in it...
I tried the DeWalt store near me today, figuring that if anybody would know, they would. Well, it took two guys to understand what I was asking for, and the answer is no, the little thingies that hold the bits and that fit into the box are not available separately.
The box is great, it would be darn near perfect, but I kinda resent having to buy more boxes to just discard the expensive outside part and the expensive inside pieces just because I want the cheap inside part.
Dave O'H, practicing to be a curmudgeon oheareATmagmaDOTca
"Dave O'Heare" <oheareATmagmaDOTca> wrote:

I have bought a few of those boxes, some hold things like jigsaw blades and other long things so I pulled the dividers from those and put them in the others. I use two different ones for screwdriver bits, one has just a few types of bits but several of each that stays with the cordless drill/drivers and has the common bits used for those like #2 cross and the #2 square. The other has all the security torx and fancy stuff and a real small screwdriver that I use with those special bits.
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:06:21 -0500, "Dave O'Heare" <oheareATmagmaDOTca> wrote:>I have a wee bit of a problem.

I use drawers a lot, mostly because I'm just learning to make 'em..lol Anyway, I have 3 small drawers dedicated to various things that fir my drivers/drills with hex.. Each drawer has a piece of pegboard the size of the drawer, suspended about 1/2" from the bottom of the drawer.. the hex fits the holes a little tight the first time, but work well.. it makes organizing them pretty easy and they're very accessible that way..
My hex bit storage is pretty sophisticated.
I take a chunk of scrap 2x4, then drill blind holes in it in a pattern.
I put the bits in the holes.
Now the sophisticated part is, I put the block on a shelf!
complicated, but worth it!
:)
John

John, excellent idea, except that I'm forever taking the dang things to places that are far (like miles) away from my shelves...
Dave O'Heare
"Dave O'Heare" <oheareATmagmaDOTca> wrote in message

http://www.jandjproducts.com
Try the 9MM 50 round ammo cases, other sizes work well for other things. The foam core rifle sizes for router bits, zip bits, etc.
-Jim Vidler
Jim wrote:

I was going to suggest a 32 acp reloaders box: http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/handgun/ammo_boxes.html
Niel, who once had a .32 acp, until my gov't outlawed them...

Excellet idea. There's a gn shop not too far from here, I'll check and see what they've got.
Dave, who bought his wife's flute case at a gun shop... oheareATmagmaDOTca
Dave O'Heare wrote:

My slr's (cameras) live in a gun case, and old ammo boxes come in useful for storage in vehicles too!
Niel.