HEMP PLYWOOD BECOMES A REALITY

Now, the next time the police raid you, you can tell them you were just growing a new house. LMAO

JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.

- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 29 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Industrial hemp has very little pharmaceutical value. Except for the US government's paranoia about it, it's actually a great fiber and can be made into cloth, paper, mdf, etc..

Reply to
Herman Family

We get it. JOAT was making what some people refer to as a "joke". Webster's defines a joke as "Something not said seriously, or not actually meant; something done in sport." I'm pretty sure JOAT (being an old geezer and all ;-)) is aware of the properties of industrial hemp.

todd

Reply to
todd

I guess I missed that one. I had worked on hemp and hemp like materials for some projects. There were serious problems with the gov't not wanting industrial hemp running around. They couldn't tell the difference between it and the pharmaceutical stuff, so they wouldn't permit it to be farmed.

Reply to
Herman Family

I read about hemp ply over 10 years ago. It is amazingly strong stuff.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
larry in cinci

If you are referring to the same JOAT as I am then he is too stupid.

Reply to
GreaseBall Italian

If your house catches fire don;t be surprised if a fireman or two forgets his air tank...

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I also suspect that this is why there is so much support from the, shall we say herbally-induced reality-challenged, for pushing hemp as an industrial product. It provides greater cover for raising the illicit kind.

... and please, drop the "pharmaceutical" connotation -- call it what it really is, "pharmaceutical" simply is attempting to legitimize the utilization of this substance for altering one's conciousness. (Don't try the "alcohol is the same" argument either. It is not.)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

completely wrong. anybody that knows anything about cannabis sativa would never grow it with hemp. It's a completely a different genus, it has absolutely NO "pharmaceutical" value. It also carries a completely different heat signature than sativa. If it was to be grown in with hemp, the chances of it being anything but trash is highly unlikely. If you truly want to find out about why the government is against water hemp(acnida cannabina) do a search on Dupont and nylon.

Reply to
ChairMan

What is this "alcohol is the same" argument you speak of? I don't think I've heard that one yet. Are you saying that alcohol is not consumed to alter one's consciousness? If so, I wonder why there was such an outcry among this group when some people stated they occasionally have a drink while woodworking. I'm sure the proponents will be glad to hear of your endorsement of drinking while woodworking since it is not used to alter consciousness.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Read the article. Good stuff, but I have some pertinent questions:

1) The article mentions "plywood" but is really about MDF. I generally avoid ANY kind of particle board, including MDF, because a) it's heavy, b) it's weak for its weight, c) it's prone to disintegration when wetted, d) it makes too much dust, a nuisance and a known health hazard. Is there really such a thing as hemp plywood, a product formed of laminated veneers?

2) The article mentions hemp lumber. Do they mean something like strandboard, the engineered lumber I see going up in all kinds of construction now?

3) If they really can make hemp plywood, how about hemp marine ply? Will the hemp-derived glues be water-resistant? Will hemp plywood glued with traditional adhesives have a suitable strenght/weight ratio for boat building?

It would be very good to see a truly renewable building resource for everyday utilitarian use so we can save the beautiful wood for important uses and quit cutting down the forests for less-valuable end-uses.

Reply to
tastbits

Not really disagreeing with you, but d. can be greatly reduced by using sharp carbide bits and agressive feed rates.

Reply to
Rico

Mark, It is a popular myth that proponents of industrial hemp would like to use it as cover for the illicit stuff. Industrial hemp is grown in tightly spaced rows to encourage fiber and oilseed production. Drug hemp is grown widely spaced to encourage leaf and bud production. No grower of drug hemp would ever want his carefully bred plants cross pollinated with industrial hemp, it would lower the THC content of the product. Hemp is a great source of superior fibers that could replace cotton as a cash crop for many struggling farmers. Over 50% of the pesticides used in the US are used in cotton production. Cotton strips the land depleting the soil and contributes to soil compaction. Hemp has far fewer natural pest and does not deplete the soil the way cotton does. Hemp fibers are also valued for the fine linen-like paper that can be produced. Hemp requires far fewer chemicals to refine into paper and could potentially save our rivers and streams from pollution. Fewer trees for paper production would mean more plentiful lumber at lower prices. Don't take my word for it, do some research. There is a lot of good data out there on industrial hemp. Scott.

Reply to
Scott McAuley

Yes, I am saying that one can take a glass of wine, or drink a beer and do so without altering one's conciousness. Some people drink a glass of wine with a particular meal to enhance its flavor, not to lose touch with reality. You cannot say that of someone partaking in smoking hemp

-- the express intent is to alter one's concious state.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
Scott McAuley