Help with this plane!

Hi all!

I'm looking to buy a plane here in Argentina. I seem to believe that it's a Bailey 1 Smoothing plane, but I'm not sure... I never really saw one of those. The vendor doesn't know much about it.

Could you please help me to identify if this is an original plane, maybe an aprox production date, model, or any other data you might consider important? Here I'm posting some pictures of it!

example, I read that the plane always had a solid brass nut for the iron's depth adjustment.. but this one has that "depression" found in larger bench planes, as you can see in the pictures.

Thank you very much in advance! Nautilus

Reply to
nautilus

Doesn't look like a No. 1 to me. No. 1's don't have lateral adjustments and they're not marked on the plane bed with Bailey or Stanley (only on the cutter). It also looks too big - hard to tell from the pictures as there's nothing to scale it to. The No. 2 never had the frog adjusting screw and yours does. The next step up has the required ingredients and the patent dates do seem to point to a No. 3.

Patrick Leach's site is an excellent reference as is John Walter's book.

RicodJour

Great info, really appreciate it! Thanks a lot!

Best, Nautilus

Reply to
nautilus

You're welcome.

You have to watch out for some dealers. They're adept at almost saying what something is, then pleading that they really don't know much about it. With things like a No. 1 there are also counterfeits.

Buyer beware.

RicodJour

Thanks, I'll keep that advise in mind!

Sorry to bother you again with another question. It is normal that some lever caps has the "stanley" logo on it, and some others don't? In this case, the plane doesn't show Stanley on the lever cap, but the casting shows "bailey". Is this because this unit was made before Bailey was bought by Stanley?

Thanks one more time! Nautilus

Reply to
nautilus

Oops! Sorry, a deeper read to the Superior Works link you sent me, gave me the answers.

Thanks! :) Mariano

Reply to
nautilus

Patrick Leach's site is great, isn't it? You already thanked me - send him one!

RicodJour