help with stones for chisel sharpening

I've done a google search, but couldn't find a definite answer.
I just want some basic sharpening stones for sharpening chisels. I'm not picky about the chisels being ultimately sharp, just good enough. Ideally, I'd want stones that last awhile and require little maintenance.
Any advise on what kind of stones to get and what grits are necessary?
I almost bought some shaptons, but after buying a few stones, the flattening plate, etc, it would be about $200. While I'm not looking for the cheapest solution, I don't think I need the cadillac solution, since I only sharpen maybe 2 or 3 times a year (at most).
I was considering buying a diamond stone or two, but I don't know which brands are good and what grits to get.
Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2970&cat=1,43072,45936
That should fit your budget. Dave

using cheap disposable diamond stones, about five quid for a set of three and they last me a month or two. Water lubricated, so no messy oil, always flat enough, and the coarse grade takes off a steel at a suprising rate (when it's new, but what the heck, buy another).
Tim W
bf wrote:

1. Buy a piece or pieces of thick glass 2. Buy a can of spray adhesive 3. Buy some silicon carbide (wet/dry) sandpaper in grits from, say 280-1000 4. Put strips of paper on glass piece(s) with adhesive
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I use Ezy-lap diamond hones. I've had them for 3 years and they are still going strong.
Sharpening is just about a religious subject. In any case, I have tried just about everything at one time or another. None are really better than another. What I most often use now is a dual sided diamond (320 and 600 grit) and a hard Arkansas to finish. Waterstones work fine but no better than my current system and they need to be flattened. Between the diamond stone and the hard Arkansas, about $200 is about right. Less money for a system that works very well, just a bit slower, is a two grit India stone and a piece of leather. About $25.00.

CW wrote:

And just like religion, there is only one true path. They're called Shapton Ceramic Sharpening Stones and the others are just pretenders to the throne. http://www.shaptonstones.com
JP

Yes, except for the others.
decided to post "Re: help with stones for chisel sharpening" to rec.woodworking:

Ok, I looked at their site. Just about anyone who uses the word 'utilize' is either misinformed or pretentious. Or both. Do the stones match the pitch? Hmmm.
/..
--
find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,