HELP! with self-closing cabinet hinges...doors are staying open, not closed!

Maybe someone has had this problem before...I'm trying to replace some

20 year old hinges on my bathroom cabinets. The new hinges are standard self-closing hinges from Lowes. 3 screws into the door, 2 into the frame, and the holes line up fine.

The problem is that the hinges hold the doors slightly open instead of closed. There is anywhere from a 1/8" to 1/2" gap.

A previous owner replaced the hinges on the kitchen cabinets, and some of them have the same problem!

I've looked at it, but can't figure out what to do to fix it. Something weird is going on - I can't be the only person to have this problem.

Please HELP!

Thanks!

Reply to
none

You might try taking the door off of the hinges and leave the hinges on the cabinet. Then move the hinges open and closed to see where the hinge is binding. If the hinge isn't binding then there may be a problem with the doors.

Are these hinges made with a 3/8" offset? Sometimes with these hinges the hinge can be placed too far outboard on the stile. Normally this happens because either the door is a bit too large or the notch is not the right size. This causes the back side of the hinge to hit the stile before the door is closed. Sometimes this can be fixed by simply whacking the barrel part of the hinge toward the opening which (by bending the hinge) moves the door (and the back of the hinge) very slightly so that the hinge will clear. Most times though, the hinge needs to be moved on the stile.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

These are hinges with no offset.

It's a great suggestion to try them without the doors! I'll do that tonight.

Thanks

Mike O. wrote:

Reply to
none

It might be that you just don't have the exact hinge. My cabinet hinges have started to give me some problems and the cabinetmaker is no longer in business. There are no names on the hinges and I can't find the exact same construction - similar and very close but the replacements do just what yours are doing. Unfortunately, I live in the sticks and there isn't a large supplier where I can make comparisons. The big box stores are no help. Good luck!

Reply to
C & M

When you say 'slightly open' do you mean that there is space between two doors or that there is space between the frame and the door (or both?)

Lou

Reply to
loutent