Help with Ryobi Plunge router

Folks... this sucks. I have the fore mentioned Ryobi plunge router which used to seem like a decent tool. (It's not quite 2 years old) Well, I've been using it mostly in my router table for quite some time making some trim pieces and various items, and then didn't touch it for about 3 months. Then I go out and try to remove the bit I'd left in there (3 months ago) to insert another bit for my current project. Joy of Joys! It won't come out! When I lock off the shaft and then use the factory supplied wrench to loose the chuck, the chuck won't loosen, and instead the lock just slips right out. I don't consider myself a strong guy at all, but it looks like the lock is pretty much useless/rounded over. Great idea making a shaft lock out of plastic!!

Anyone know how I can get my bit back short of hitting it with a generous amount of oxygen and acetyline??? Already tried soaking with CLP... no joy.

Halon1211

I don't know much about the Ryobi so this may not help - but, here is my suggestion. Remove the router from what ever base it's in if possible. Then clamp the bit between two pieces of wood in a vise. You should then be able to loosen the nut.

Good luck,

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

I suspect that yours is the same model as mine. I had to take apart/bust apart the top to get ride of the offending useless lock. The slotted pot metal that is supposed to grab the shaft probably cracked.

I then used a dremmel tool to grind two flats onto the motor shaft, right above the collet nut, to fit a popular sized wrench-I don't remember which.

I own a few Ryobi tools, and this is the first time the design was deficient. The guy that approved that design should have been forced to buy them all back.

Reply to
Morgans