Help with router setup

I got my new rail and stile bits out this weekend and put them on my ryobi router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to sit too high, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the o gee pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue of this there is no groove put on the wood.
My router is a ryobi r 181FB1. It has been in storage for awhile. I had cle aned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for the bit to go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing anythi ng to the hight of the bit.
Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
I appreciate it!
wrote in message
I got my new rail and stile bits out this weekend and put them on my ryobi router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to sit too high, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the ogee pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue of this there is no groove put on the wood.
My router is a ryobi r 181FB1. It has been in storage for awhile. I had cleaned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for the bit to go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing anything to the hight of the bit.
Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
I appreciate it! ========================================================================There is a locking lever that you have to loosen first. Go here for the manual. http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/ryobi/r181fb1.html?idResY7983
On Monday, April 22, 2013 7:55:02 AM UTC-5, CW wrote:

I did loosen that locking ring.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you loosened the locking lever and you can't (appreciably) turn the depth adjusting ring then either (1) you are not doing one or both correctly or, (2) your router is toast.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to sit too high, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the ogee pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue of this there is no groove put on the wood.

cleaned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for the bit to go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing anything to the hight of the bit.

I assume you did not get any written instructions with your bits ?
These folks offer instructions on "how to do it" on their sets:
These should be close enough to get the general idea of bit setup.
http://www.freudtools.com/p-225-three-piece-cabinet-bit-setbr-nbsp.aspx
There sets all come with a video and written instruction.
Pat Barber wrote:

He's not trying to set up the bits, he is trying to figure out how to adjust cutting depth on his router.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Monday, April 22, 2013 4:14:09 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

I ffoled with it last night. It went down some but then locked up again. I am not sure my router may be shot.
I am going to take it off the table and mess with it and if I cant get it to work I guess get a new router and or table at Lowes.
On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:32:38 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Actually, rail/stile bits might interfere with the baseplate or insert aperture; these are large-diameter bits, in general. New router/table isn't a solution, if that's the issue. You have to look for interference with other parts, for depth-stops settings, for dirty/jammed adjustment mechanisms.
Look carefully.
whit3rd wrote:

By, jing, I think you may have provided the answer. I would have thought he would have noticed if the bit was too big to go through the hole but - everything considered - maybe not.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/23/2013 6:23 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Lets hope he did notice, or I feel that are going to be seeing many many more questions during the making of his board. ;~)
On 4/22/2013 2:14 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Yep...I missed that ...sorry
A new router might be in order.

router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to sit too high, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the ogee pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue of this there is no groove put on the wood.

cleaned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for the bit to go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing anything to the hight of the bit.

I found the poster with the setup...
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/file.jsp?item=/doorcontest/doorhowto
On Monday, April 22, 2013 7:16:57 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the ogee pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue o f this there is no groove put on the wood.

go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing anyt hing to the hight of the bit.

No, it will not go up or down even with the baseplate removed.

http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/ryobi/r181fb1.html?idResY7983
"Pat Barber" wrote in message wrote:

http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/ryobi/r181fb1.html?idResY7983 ================================================================================I posted that a while back. He gave no indication that he looked at it or fallowed the right procedure. I'm starting to get a whiff of troll.

================================================================================= "CW" wrote:

The whiff I get is somebody who expects somebody else to do his work.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Did it ever? Have you ever used it?
--

dadiOH
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:59:01 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

Yes. I have had it for about 8 years. Alot of that it has been in storage under my router table however.

here and there. Corrosion could be the culprit here.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If it worked before there is no reason it won't work now.
I've never had a router that adjusts the depth with a ring as does yours but I'd think you should be able to remove the motor portion from the base (not the base *plate*, the whole base). As Leon suggested, do that, brush off and accumulated sawdust/wood chips, clean up any corrosion, wipe it down well with a solvent like paint thinner and give it a coat of wax or some squirts of silicone lubricant.
--

dadiOH