Help with planer

Just got a planer for Christmas. Just want to know what the benefits of this planer would be? I go to Home Depot and buy wood already plain. How would this planer best benefit me the most? Would I save a lot more money if I went to a lumberyard and bought rough lumber and planed it myself? And how much would the savings be about?
Thank you John
"Big Fat Daddy" wrote in message

Congratulations ...

Many and various .. a book on the basice of woodworking is in order.

Plain wood is often hard to beat ... particularly if you have no book, or have not taken a course on, on the basice of woodworking.

When it's plugged in .. but a book on the basice of woodworking should be in order before you do that.

Not a lot, but you would also have the added benefit of being able to size your wood in thickness to suit the project.
Keep in mind that a planer, by itself, is not a complete solution to milling rough lumber ... .. a book on the basice of woodworking is in order.

Depends upon how much woodworking you plan on doing. If a lot, you will eventually recoup the cost of the planer, in time and convenience as well as the lower cost of rough lumber.
Before doing that however, you would do well to leave the planer in the box and buy a book on the basics of woodworking.
Seriously.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:27:25 GMT, "Big Fat Daddy"

How about using wood of any thickness you want?
That's good enough for me.
Barry
If you don't know what to do with it, it is of no use to you.
Return it and use the cash to buy some wood, and make something.
It is refreshing to see someone not obsessed with tools.
Well, as an example, my local Home Despot (no, that's not an accidental typo :-) gets $6-$7 a linear foot for 6" wide x 1" (nominal) red oak.Wider than that gets astronomically high. My local lumberyard (Condon Lumber in Stormville, NY) gets $2.95 a board foot for 4/4 D2S (planed on two sides) red oak. $2.60 a bf if I buy over 300 bf at once (my friends and I do group buys). A decent saving, plus, I get to pick from a much better selection.
-Keith
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:27:25 GMT, "Big Fat Daddy"