Help with Pioneer 1074 chainsaw

Hi all,

I 'm trying to revive this chainsaw I did use some years ago, just for the fun of it. It has been sitting on a shelf for at least five years, without any cleaning or maintenance. The problem is I don't have the user manual any more, so I don´t even remember what oil-gas mix it needs. I guess 5% 2T oil would be safe, ¿but can it use unleaded gas? I don´t know what kind of oil the chain uses, either. I have bought a new spark plug, and visually checked the fuel ducts, carburetor, exhaust, clutch, etc. Everything seems to be in fine shape and moves smoothly. I won´t sharpen or replace the chain until I'm able to make get it running, anyway. Of course nowadays it is impossible to find a manual for this saw, at least here in Spain, since Pioneer is long since out of business. I wonder if somebody is kind enough to tell provide some basic instructions for this model, so that I can at least try to get it started. At the very least I need fuel and oil specs. If possible, any additional technical or maintenance information will help.

TIA,

Daniel Donate Madrid, Spain

Reply to
DanDon

Most of these old saws used a 16:1 gas/oil ratio. Use chainsaw chain oil to lubricate the chain. The operating procedures should be like any old chainsaw.

While you're at it, you should rebuild the carburator with a diaphragm kit. They stiffen after a few years and make tuning it impossible.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Start here:

Kevin Singleton

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have a chainsaw that use 16:1. It's an OlioMac (an Italian copy of the ?Jonserud?) that I bought new in 1977. I have never seen any other chainsaw of that vintage that uses a 16:1 mix. My father-in-law had an excellent Pioneer at the time and it used 32:1 oil mix. Good point on the diaphragm. Also, the rubber hose to pickup the gas can deteriorate and plug the carb, so a new pickup hose is suggested also.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon