Help with moldings and out of square widow frames

I need help on putting moldings around out of square window frames. SWMBO and the designer decided that casings/moldings matching a new door in the bedroom would dress up the windows. I have a chop saw but have never really done anything like this. Do you make the frames perfectly square so the miters look good and let the out of square window peek out at one end of the run? Measurements show that the worst ones are off by 1/8" over two feet. Hope this makes enough sense that the experienced finish folks can help. TIA-hey my offer to answer your questions about DNA still stands-going way back to the saw bearing questions last summer ;-)

David

Reply to
Genedoc

1/8 over 24" isn't too bad. I'd just tweak your angles to suit your needs. 1/8 over 2 feet is only about .2 of a degree
Reply to
Battleax

Best to match the angle precisely if you can ... it will look "right".

Relatively easy to do with a few different tools: a sliding bevel gauge/square and a protractor (or the saw itself), or a protractor square, to name a couple:

?c=2&p=32580&cat=1,43513,51657Methodology is simply to determine the actual angle with tool(s), then use 'complementary' angles in your cuts to cut the two miters at that joint.

Reply to
Swingman

Here's what to try. Starting with the second piece, fit the miters together and nail it up. Fles it along for whatever reveal you are doing and nail the other end. The thing to do is to flex it as you mount it. The last piece you stitch up one corner (first make sure it fits!) flex it so the other miter fits, nail it up then flex the middle to the reveal you are working to. What are some up and comming gene therapy companies I should look into investing in?

John

Genedoc wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Caulk cloning companies.

Reply to
Swingman

Uncle Fester says don't step on the land mine of recommending investments (not my area of expertise). I missed Amgen at $12 a share and another one that was going to make me rich went under before any IPO. If I only had a crystal ball. ;-(

David

Reply to
Genedoc

The frame being off 1/8" isn't too bad. When I trim windows I cut the trim with the same reveal all the way around the window jamb. Your trim will be off as much as the window is out of square but no one will see it as the reveal will remain constant. If you are doing a stool and apron install the stool first then make sure the square end of each leg fits, mark the 45 at the top and cut. I usually install both legs (whether stool or picture frame) then fit the header(s). That way I can correct both angles (if needed) with one trip back to the saw. Some guys prefer to work their way around the window.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.