Help with Gloat? Delta BS

Hi Guys,

I think that I need a sanity check here. I found an ad in the local paper for a "14 inch Delta Bandsaw, $625". Okay nothing too special, but I thought that I would call and check it out.

Talking with the seller, he told me the model number: 28-269. Didn't ring any bells until he told me that this was the white one, a special edition from around 1999,2000.

I have a friend that has that saw, and I knew that it was nice. So, I went for a ride and looked at it. It was in completely mint condition. The seller was getting rid of it to get a larger (18" Jet) bandsaw.

I made some test cuts. Blade tracked well. Low vibe, all that.

The saw cam with manuals for the 28-280, and the 28-270 which calls it the Grand Edition (White).

Well, long story short, I offered $550, he said yes, and I loaded it up and took it home.

Now, being the curious cat that I am, I called Delta this morning witht he serial number to see when it was made (October 98) and just chat about the model. The support lady mentioned that the MSRP for this package was $455. (!)

I think my heart stopped for a moment. Can that be right? This saw is basically the 28-280 which through Googling, I found was selling for about $800 at that time. The only references I found to this saw in my Googling were referring to the "Delta Grand Edition" which was going for around $800-$850.

The rough stats for the Grand Edition White are:

-1 hp motor

-enclosed stand

-mobile base

-12" rip fence

-bearing guide (not the Carter guides, just the one)

-Cool Blocks

So, it is really the 28-280 with the mobile base and fence thrown in.

In the end, did I just get lost in the Delta-phabet soup and get screwed? I am okay with just getting a fair deal, but I wish that I wouldn't have called Delta.

Curiosity may just kill this cat... Len

Reply to
Len Rauth

Man did you ever get taken...NOT>>>>I have sold Delta for years ...the model you have sold for $850.00 and came with a free mobil base and a free rip fence and sometimes with a $50.00 rebate....you still got a saw selling at $799.00 you did real good...the lady at Delta must have looked at the saw only or at the wrong part #...now relax and go play with you new tool knowing you got a sweat deal!!!!

Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
aswr

Len Rauth wrote in news:Xns9601665B6ED8Abuckyeesbcglobalnet@207.115.63.158:

How did you get screwed? You bought a much better saw than you can buy today for $550, with the accessories, no shipping or sales tax.

Who cares what MSRP was for the base saw in 1998?

Make some wood smaller than it was yesterday. Smile. Repeat.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Without seeing it I would say the cat has 9 1/2 lives left. Sight unseen, of course, but you may find it hard to buy that much saw today for that price. I would rejoice.

Reply to
Swingman

=============== Bottom line.... Does it do what you want it to do .. You already oppened your pocket so I have to assume that you though it was worth the price...

Honestly I have made some bad buys in my lifetime BUT I have never ever once second guessed myself ....once the deal is done its done and I have no need to "pick on myself"....I just move foreward and hopefully learn something...

However the saw as you discribe it (white etc) would indicate to me that is ain't no cheap Delta.... lol...I do not even try to keep up with their model numbers... my brain just can not keep everything straight...

Hell just enjoy your saw

Bob Griffiths

.
Reply to
Bob G.

I love that line.

Reply to
joeD

I had a minor antigloat last year at a garage sale. I saw two telephones worth about $50 each on ebay, and bought them got $20 each. I sold one the put the other one up. A guy asked me to be sure they were what I said they were because that model has a blue key where the photo has a black key. otherwise they are identical. He was right. The garage guy put his old phones in the new box with the new instruction book and since they are identical...

He laughed at me. I sued him. The judge concluded it was an honest error, and I was some kinda jerk for thinking they had to be labled correctly. Set contract law back 1000 years, but then the judge probably was out sick when they discussed contract law.

The was nothing to do but return the firstbuyers money and throw them out.

Reply to
toller

You sued over a $20 phone?

Reply to
John T

I have a white one. (In fact, Mike from ASWR has used this particular one!) You got a hell of deal. I would not trade mine for any of the new ones.

You are now done buying band saws, for the rest of your life.

-Dan V. in Indy

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

You do that too, huh? Why do we do that? Buy it, then wonder, then go find out if you really got a deal. It's a retarded way to go about doing things, but I've been guilty of that more than once.

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

I just want to take a minute to thank all of you that responded to my post. To be honest, if I hadn't called Delta, I would have never doubted myself.

To Patriarch's point... I did, and now I feel better. :)

Thanks again, Len

Reply to
Len Rauth