Help with finish on a guitar!

Page 2 of 2

you guys rock! just bein all helpful with your suggestions! anyways... has anyone used winwax wipe on poly? or the polycrylic, or water based polyurethanes? i'm debating even getting the poly for floors. also general finishes makes a gel poly that is supposedly one of the hardest curing and clearest finishes on the market... any thoughts?
David Dugas wrote:

I used the Minwax high-gloss wipe-on Poly on a Tele that I built last year. Got impatient with it, and finished the job with the Minwax high-gloss poly that comes in a spray can. The result was very good--the gloss is so shiny it almost looks wet. No buffing or polishing was required. But I level-sanded with 320, 400, and 600 before I put on the last two coats. You have to be very careful to avoid runs, though. I did two thin coats about 2 hours apart, IIRC.
--Steve
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

None of the products you have suggested are suitable for a musical instrument. Grizzly has a nice section in their catalog for luthier supplies, and here is a page that summarizes the steps needed for a very high quality finish, they will send you a free catalog::
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/345
Dennis
Hi David -
I have never heard of using Formby's but Tru Oil is actually fairly commonly used for instument finishes. I have talked to several luthiers who like it and I am experimenting with some in the shop now. It takes several coats to build up to a gloss finish. So far what I am getting is more of a satin finish. Dyes are the way to go to get color if you have some cool grain you want to show through. A lot of colored electrics are just painted. As mentioned in other posts, the key is the buffing/polishing.
Phil Morris
David Dugas wrote:

could i just add stain to the poly or the lacquer? i have been to several luthier sites that suggested that...

That is called toning. Unfortunately garden variety (lowes) stain has pigment in it (like paint) and it will obscure the dye.
In my breif experience messing around with toning, I discovered the obvious... thicker finish = more color. What's not so obvious is that achiving an even-thickness finish on anything but a simpleflat surface is not easy *unless* you are spraying. -Steve
--
http://NewsGuy.com/overview.htm 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

As a guitar player I know enough to say (DON'T TRY IT YOURSELF) without a LOT of research
Ask this same question in RMMGA
rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic PLEASE a lot of luthiers are on that list (as am I)
Jerry