Help with alder table

I'm making a large dining room table using knotty alder. The knots aren't large, but need some filling in places. Any thoughts on a dark (fake knot) filler?
Thanks,
-Doug
epoxy with walnut sanding dust.
I've seen it done with black epoxy. the look is fashionable right now here in AZ. can't say I care for it much myself, though.
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:30:36 GMT, Doug Winterburn

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:47:25 -0700, nospam wrote:

Funny you should mention that - it's for some folks in Fountain Hills. Black epoxy was my first thought, but hopeing for other suggestions?
-Doug
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:17:11 GMT, Doug Winterburn

tinted polyester resin? try an automotive paints supplier
Yeah real Fashionable, I recently did some Showcase's for a jewelry store and they wanted Knotty Alder, I'm used to cutting wood and getting rid of the knots, On this job I had to cut wood and get rid of the good stuff. I wasn't keen on it either. They loved them, I think they were a waste. I did see some large doors at Desert Mountain about 3" thick 48 x 96 Knotty Alder they had a good look to them. Everything in CA appears to migrate to AZ, Back east you couldn't Buy Alder up to a few years ago And then it is only used for cleats etc. And its not as cheap anymore, Hope to close a deal next week for a Jewelry store and they want first class Mahogany, Yeah man my cup of tea. George

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:28:01 -0700, George M. Kazaka wrote:

Chandler Hardwoods has it for $1.50/bf for 8/4 (mostly clear) and $1.30 for 4/4 (knotty).
-Doug
Doug Where is Chandler Hardwoods, I assume in Chandler but that is a new one on me ???? I have not even heard of them

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:09:53 -0700, George M. Kazaka wrote:

of McQueen. For you, go south on Country Club/Arizona Ave thru Chandler and turn left on Queen Creek. Go about a mile and a half and turn right on Adams (dirt road). A few hundred feet down the road on the left, there's a big barn and storage shed full of goodies. Owners name is Rocky. He doesn't advertise and isn't even in the phone book as he says he has more biz than he can handle. Best material and prices in the area.
-Doug
I have to go down that way next week I'll check him out. By the way I get Knotty Alder for .76and Premium Knotty Alder for .98 Can't tell the differance between the two, About 2.50 for select Clear Cabinet Grade

George M. Kazaka wrote:

Where? Inquiring mind.....
Gary (also in the Phoenix metro area)
See Dougs post above mine in this same Thread

Doug:
I had a similar problem (with alder) when I was making my sons bed. As I was intending on a natural finish, I used a simple epoxy to fill the holes and was pleased with the result.
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:52:10 +0000, Rob Stokes wrote:

Rob,
Did you color the epoxy or leave it clear - and if you colored it, what did you use?
Thanks,
-Doug
Try bark if you have some, otherwise stuff thick shavings around the knots and adhere with epoxy.
I've liked the unobtrusiveness both give.

Drill tapered holes in the place of the faulty knots, "pencil sharpen" alder branches to matching taper, glue them in, cut excess off with a flush cut saw: done!