Help with alder table

I'm making a large dining room table using knotty alder. The knots aren't large, but need some filling in places. Any thoughts on a dark (fake knot) filler?

Thanks,

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

epoxy with walnut sanding dust.

Reply to
RPRESHONG

I've seen it done with black epoxy. the look is fashionable right now here in AZ. can't say I care for it much myself, though.

Reply to
nospam

Funny you should mention that - it's for some folks in Fountain Hills. Black epoxy was my first thought, but hopeing for other suggestions?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Chandler Hardwoods has it for $1.50/bf for 8/4 (mostly clear) and $1.30 for 4/4 (knotty).

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yeah real Fashionable, I recently did some Showcase's for a jewelry store and they wanted Knotty Alder, I'm used to cutting wood and getting rid of the knots, On this job I had to cut wood and get rid of the good stuff. I wasn't keen on it either. They loved them, I think they were a waste. I did see some large doors at Desert Mountain about 3" thick 48 x 96 Knotty Alder they had a good look to them. Everything in CA appears to migrate to AZ, Back east you couldn't Buy Alder up to a few years ago And then it is only used for cleats etc. And its not as cheap anymore, Hope to close a deal next week for a Jewelry store and they want first class Mahogany, Yeah man my cup of tea. George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Doug:

I had a similar problem (with alder) when I was making my sons bed. As I was intending on a natural finish, I used a simple epoxy to fill the holes and was pleased with the result.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Rob,

Did you color the epoxy or leave it clear - and if you colored it, what did you use?

Thanks,

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

tinted polyester resin? try an automotive paints supplier

Reply to
nospam

Doug Where is Chandler Hardwoods, I assume in Chandler but that is a new one on me ???? I have not even heard of them

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Try bark if you have some, otherwise stuff thick shavings around the knots and adhere with epoxy.

I've liked the unobtrusiveness both give.

Reply to
George

They're at the south end of the Chandler airport on Queen Creek just east of McQueen. For you, go south on Country Club/Arizona Ave thru Chandler and turn left on Queen Creek. Go about a mile and a half and turn right on Adams (dirt road). A few hundred feet down the road on the left, there's a big barn and storage shed full of goodies. Owners name is Rocky. He doesn't advertise and isn't even in the phone book as he says he has more biz than he can handle. Best material and prices in the area.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Where? Inquiring mind.....

Gary (also in the Phoenix metro area)

Reply to
GeeDubb

Drill tapered holes in the place of the faulty knots, "pencil sharpen" alder branches to matching taper, glue them in, cut excess off with a flush cut saw: done!

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Reply to
George M. Kazaka