Help w/Blum inset hinges

I am building a set of cabinets, using Blum 170d, inset hinges. Purchased from Lee Valley - but can't see why that would matter.

When in the fully closed position, they close past 90 degrees (like

85). Even fully adjusting as far as allowed, they are still just shy of 90, but very noticeable. It also prevents use of the 5mm offset indicated by the instructions as the door frame is in full contact with the cabinet frame at that point. I didn't expect this, given they were Blum, but it is clearly how they are made. I'm wondering if there is something simple I am doing wrong.

I have come up with two workarounds. First is to use door stops to prevent the door closing past 90. I hadn't planned on that but can modify the cabinet to install them. This also has the downside of the self close spring left to keep pulling, which I wonder may cause door warping over time - the spring is surprisingly strong.

2nd is to install washers as shims, which changes the relative position of the fixing screw and adjustment surfaces. This is the path I am currently on as it allows me to maintain a gap between the door and cabinet and keep at 90d when closed.

Is there something I am missing here; e.g., yes, you're supposed to use a door stop with these hinges, although the instructions say nothing of it.

thanks

Reply to
tabergman

You have to use the 1/8" thick bumpers to prevent the doors from banging when you close the door, they automatically close.

Reply to
Leon

I wasn't planning to have them close against anything as they're inset in the frame. That's partly my question, by design, are they

*required* to have a stop for the door? (then yes I know to use the bumper).

I have managed to get them to stop flush inside the door without a stop by using the shims - just seems odd that needs to be done. The 'gap adjust' screw actually swings the door through an arc as opposed to a perfectly parallel movement.

But if designed to have a stop then I'll add them, was just hoping to avoid. As I noted, the spring force to pull them shut is surprisingly strong, was concerned how that would affect the doors over time.

Thanks for your resp> You have to use the 1/8" thick bumpers to prevent the doors from banging

Reply to
tabergman

I have always used these type of hinges with overlay doors. The hinge is less than 90 degrees when "at rest" because it is designed to have the spring tension hold it closed when at 90 degrees. With the overlay doors I've built, the adjustments let me dial in a perfect fit (and overcome some other dimensional deficiencies that I seem to frequently have ;-)

Reply to
MB