Help setting up jointer gibs/ways

I recently got an old Delta Model 654 6" jointer in reasonably good shape. After disassembly and cleaning, I am uncertain about how tight to set the gibs (ways?).
I am finding I must leave the screw adjusters quite loose for the tables to slide up and down. As soon as I tighten them at all the table locks up.
Any suggestions?
Db
db wrote:

tight enough that the tables don't wiggle when you grab them with both hands and wrassle it around a bit, loose enough that they move smoothly.