Help! Rough surface after poly coat!

And use a tac rag, right before you spray.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Thanks for the tips, I've taken them to heart. To answer a few of the questions, I'm using the oil-based poly, not the water based. I've never used the water-based, but have wanted to try it. This is actually one piece that really should have been done in the water-based, as I made a set of shelves from maple with a natural stain, and I hate the additional yellowing that the oil-based poly gave it. I've heard that the water-based doesn't have that "yellow" look.

I was under the impression that the sanding after the first coat was to roughen up the surface for adhesion of the second coat (as one responder had noted), but some people stated that roughness is expected after the first coat. This is the first I've had this problem.

I didn't take into account the ambient temperature, but this time is the first that I've had this problem, and it has been a bit cooler in the shop lately. The slow drying time must have worked against me this time.

Thinning the poly did seem to help, I just thinned the whole can by adding less than 10% spirits. I'm glad someone asked what to use as a thinner, I wasn't sure either. I also was curious about spraying. I was tempted, but figured it may entrain yet more air bubbles into the poly and make things worse.

Thanks again!!!!

Dan

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." ---George Carlin

Reply to
DK