Help, Reviving Wooden Handles

Hey Fella's - What's the best way to bring back some kind of finish to older kitchen knifes that have seen their share of water, either from sitting in the sink for ever or getting beat up by the dishwasher?
TIA - Geo.
Oil to expand the fibers and give back color, a surface finish to give some resistance for the future. Well combined in thinned, long-oil varnishes.

He means a spar/marine varnish/poly available at any home store or hardware store.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

hardware

Can you clarify? I've got the same issue. I got the "marine varnish" suggestion previously and went to HD. I got lots of strange looks and nothing suitable.
I've got regular wipe-on poly for baseboard trim - is that suitable?
Thanks, Michael

Google is your friend.
<http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/manowar.htm
scott
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:13:39 -0400, "Jersey"

Fix them before they're really bad - much easier that way.
I'd go with plain oil - just your usual can of tung oil-based commercial finishing oil. Apply it no thicker than usual, but refinish daily for a week until you start to see it build up.
Actually, you shouldn't put wood-handled knives in the dishwasher. Makes them really dull and is pretty hard on the handles. SWMBO uses "walnut oil" bought from a Chicago Cutlery dealer, looks pretty good too.

I've got to ask: how does a dishwasher make a knife dull?
Curiously, H.

In the old days you didn't put knives in the dishwasher because they banged around against each other & other stuff & they would dull. But the newer dishwashers have places just for knives in that they isolate the blades from coming in touch with anything else BUT I'm sure that the high amount of heat mixed with the water can't be good for the wooden handles. If it were just me, I would clean them after being used & put them back into the block or onto the wall magnet but the SO has her own way of doing things, weather right or wrong But we won't go there.
L8r - Geo.

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Detergents emulsify oils. Oils make handles bright.
Acids would harm the edge, not alkali.
Oh yes, solubility is increased in warmer water.

snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) writes:

Most dishwasher detergents contain abrasives.
scott