help - retain natural whiteness

I have made a few small items (boxes, frames & easels) lately from blue-gum. It has a great marbling effect - white wood with reddish swirls and stripes. Normally I prefer to oil and polish such things with linseeds or tung. This is great for darker woods as it brings out the colour. The problem of course with whiter wood is the yellowing effect that oil and even waxes impart.

Question, does anyone out there have a magic solution? Basically, what I am trying to achieve is a degree of gloss for protection and at the same time retain the unfinished colour. Is this possible.

Reply to
Bill Daly

My choice would be a water based acrylic finish such as Fuhr #290. See:

no(SPAM)vasys

Check the finish sold by McFeely's. They have a water based Lacquers, the CrystalLac 2001 version claims to be water white. The 2000 claims to have the tint of typical nitrocellulose. In fact, I think they sall a tint to make the 2001 look like typical Lacquer.

Let us know how it works if you use it. Its a bit expensive for my tastest but I may end up going with something like it soon myself.

SonomaProducts.com

Keep them out of direct and ambient sun light. Also, might try a uv protectant finish. I've seen box elder and magnolia (both have reddish streaks) fade out in the sun.

Reply to
Brent Beal

Sounds like a very interesting wood, and very colorful.

Hum...That can be a problem with many finishes. I would suggest looking at either a water-based or nitrocellulose lacquer. Either one will be quite clear and non-yellowing. I, personally, prefer the more classical lacquer, but, the new, waterbased finishes are not bad. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt