help - retain natural whiteness

I have made a few small items (boxes, frames & easels) lately from blue-gum. It has a great marbling effect - white wood with reddish swirls and stripes. Normally I prefer to oil and polish such things with linseeds or tung. This is great for darker woods as it brings out the colour. The problem of course with whiter wood is the yellowing effect that oil and even waxes impart.
Question, does anyone out there have a magic solution? Basically, what I am trying to achieve is a degree of gloss for protection and at the same time retain the unfinished colour. Is this possible.
Bill Daly wrote:

My choice would be a water based acrylic finish such as Fuhr #290. See:
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/Fuhrfinishes.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

    Sounds like a very interesting wood, and very colorful.

suggest looking at either a water-based or nitrocellulose lacquer. Either one will be quite clear and non-yellowing. I, personally, prefer the more classical lacquer, but, the new, waterbased finishes are not bad.     Regards     Dave Mundt