Help! Restain Luan Doors?

Hi,

Just found this group, and wish I had before I started my first attempt at staining. Oh well, here's the situation:

I stained replacement doors with three coats of Minwax Dark Walnut oil stain, trying to match the color of other existing doors in my house. At some point later, I decided the original doors must have been stained with a wood dye. The base color of the original doors ws stained brown with black-colored graining.

The wood of the original doors is luan as well, as evidenced by manufacturer stamping. They were prolly built in the late '70s.

The new doors are top-coated with two coats of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane (satin finish).

Is it too late to change the color without a tremendous amount of work, if at all? Will I have to strip off the sealer, the old stain, or both? How? Would tintable lacquer work without any stripping and still show the grain? Would de-waxed shellac work without any stripping

Or, am I screwed to the point where I'll have to buy new doors and try again? Any advice much appreciated?

TIA, James

Reply to
James Harvey