Help resawing 5bf in Cleveland, OH

I don't have a bandsaw (not that I don't want one...) and will need to resaw some quilted maple into thinner boards (like 1/4") for a bed I'm making. The maple will be about 5-6" wide. Not sure about length or thickness yet.

If you live in the greater Cleveland area (I'm in North Royalton), have some experience with $20/bf wood, and would like to help me out please drop me a line.

Sorry for the jumbled up email address. I hate spam...

sls16

----- at

----- cwru.

----- edu

Sam

Reply to
Sam Shank

Resaw it with your table saw.

Reply to
Leon

That would be a PITA, and cost me another $100 for more wood. Even the thinnest kerf on my saw would be just under 1/8 of an inch. Seems like a waste to me, esp. when it costs so much for the wood in the first place.

Reply to
Sam Shank

Sam Shank wrote in news:sls16attcwrudottedu- snipped-for-privacy@eeyore.ins.cwru.edu:

Actually, Leon is right on with this suggestion, for a couple of reasons.

With the table saw, you are likely to be able to get minimal loss from the blade wandering, bowing, tracking or leaving ridges in the board. Every piece I've ever resawn on the bandsaw (admittedly not hundreds of board feet, but...) has to take several passes though the surface planer to even things up. And the bandsaw blade isn't zero kerf. (I forgot who trademarked that term recently. Sorry.)

Those done on the table saw were far closer to flat and straight, right off of the saw.

Find a good, sharp, (in this case Thin Kerf) rip blade, and practice on some soft maple or poplar, to see what you can do with it. You might be pleasantly surprised. If not, you've spent very little.

Even if you want to resaw a wider board than 2* the maximum depth of cut on yout TS, cutting from both sides with the TS makes a good start to finishing the resaw with a human-powered saw.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Your bandsaw is in serious need of a tuneup.

Reply to
Scott Post

Actually it goes quite well and fast on a TS on pieces up to 6" wide. If expense is a factor, buying 3/4" and or 4/4 stock is going to probably be cheaper than buying thicker material and even a band saw is not going to yield more than 2 pieces 1/4" thick from a 3/4" thick board. That said, you are probably only going to only loose another 1/16" of wood with each pass of the TS vs. a BS.

Reply to
Leon

I suggest you check out the Doll lumber company about 40 miles east of you on 534, South of 422 and North of 82.

I don't think I've seen quilted maple there, but the curly maple was $3.50/bf the last time I bought some.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Sam(if that REALLY IS your real name, he,he)

Although I live not far from you, your best bet is to hook up with a good cabinet shop. There's gotta be one in the book. They'd probably do it for next to nothing. Sounds to me like you're making some veneer for panels or the like. You could have the shop surface plane or belt sand them too.

A word about bandsaws. I picked up an older 12" Craftsman bandsaw at a garage sale for $50. After checking out a bandsaw book at the library, $8 for a new blade, and making a resaw fence out of MDF, I could easily resaw 6" of KD walnut. In other words, you don't need a Laguna to enjoy and learn using the bandsaw. And believe me, resawing is magic.

My $.02 less capital gains $.004, the REAL Sam Schmenk

Reply to
Sam Schmenk