HELP - Refinishing top of dining table

I have a 3 x 5 yellow pine table top. It was damaged in moving - a metal object was scratching the top for 1000 miles. It scratched up a 6 inch square pretty badly. We like the table a lot - it has a plain oil finish. The scratches are too deep to sand out. I need some tips on how to finish it and make it presentable. I would like to re-stain it and put a glossy finish over that. We eat three meals a day on this table and wipe it often - how do I get rid of the deep scratches? I have a palm sander and tried to sand the scratches out but they are to deep.
Harry Everhart wrote:

1. Plane entire table (depending on depth of gouges, you may be able to use a scraper) 2. Sand entire table 3. Finish -or- 1. Fill scratches/gouges 2. Sand 3. Finish
Note that filling will never result in a result that matches the rest of the table top unless you are skilled enough to "paint in" a matching grain pattern and colors..
-- dadiOH ____________________________
I'd try an inlay. If the scratches are in the center, I'd use wood chisels or a router to hollow out a spot the same size as a piece of marble tile, inset the tile and use it as a focal point, or a hot pad. Or find a decorative tile design that will look good inset into the top. We have a 20" mosaic tile design inlaid into our kitchen floor tile, so I'd look for something similar to put into the table top. If the scratches are off-center, consider additional inlays as necessary if you want symmetry. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the help - I will let you know what I do. Harry

What should I use to fill the scratches - plastic wood? Harry
Harry Everhart wrote:

Hard for me to suggest one because I generally use white glue and sawdust. Little glue, lots of sawdust.
But another poster mentioned inserting a tile. That doesn't turn me on but you could fit a dutchman...a piece of the same wood routed to fit a female routing in the table. It too will show but if you are careful in selecting the grain for the dutchman and make a diamond shape inset, they can be pretty good. Diamond inset so the lines don't cross the top grain at right angles.
www.refinishwizard.com or www.homesteadfinishing.com are good forumes with much help available.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:59:18 -0500, Harry Everhart

You've gotten several good suggestions here. However, before any of them, I'd suggest you wet with water and heat steam the scratches. Any wood expansion you get will make the repair easier. GerryG

GerryG wrote:

[snip]
Yellow pine is harder than regular pine so you may not get the wood to expand back to something near normal as easily as you would with regular pine. I'd wet a couple of you least favorite wash cloths and press them with a cotton-hot iron. Do it a couple of times and then figure you have the best results you are going to get.
Since you are going to have to mess with the top anyway, try a couple different brands of wood filler. Some say "stainable" now and one of those might work best.
Josie