Help please - which saw is better?

Ok, my shop construction is nearly complete and now is the time to furnish it. I'm going batty trying to decide on which saw to buy, either a Delta Unisaw with a 50" Biesmeyer fence or a Jet . The Delta saw is American made (for now) and sells for $1,799 everywhere, while the Jet is I hear Swiss but made in Tiawan and sells for $1,699 and comes with a router lift and Bosch router. So my question, which is the better saw?

Jet =

=

Gary

The General 650....(just to add to the confusion).

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

Both are good. What color do you like better?

Seriously, that may be the swing feature. I don't think you will know what saw is under you when you are pushing a piece of wood through it. I've used both and they both perform very well.

I'm partial to the Bies fence. The router in the extension table is nice at times, but not as good as a real full featured router table. It comes down to cost and space for that decision. If my router is set up for an operation, I don't want to have to change it to cut some wood.

IMO, you will have good performance from either and will be happy with either. I have both Delta and Jet tools so I'm not prejudice for one of the other. Be sure to get a good blade and look at the General 650 also. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Flip the coin or like Edwin said, choose your color.

I compared the 2 side by side about 4 years ago and bought the Jet.

Reply to
Leon

Which company has the closest customer service center? Dave

> Delta =

> Gary

TeamCasa

> Delta =

> Gary

You folks really disappoint me (I'm kidding, of course). Ain't 'choo got no brand loyalty? Ask me which I prefer, Ford or Chevy, I'll say Chevy every time. I certainly wouldn't say, it depends on the color. So come guys, in your heart of hearts, which saw is better? Thank you for your responses, anyway.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

As I gaze into my crystal ball I see the future of this question..

Those that own Delta's will say Delta, those that own Jets are going to say Jet, those that own other will suggest other and a small but fanatical group of radicals will suggest you forsake the evils of electricity and get a good handsaw and an oil lamp..

Go figure.

Reply to
Mike G

"Gary" wrote in news:c7e9ph$gn6$ snipped-for-privacy@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU:

Don't go there, on brand loyalty. The 'suits' are in charge, and the group of companies which is Delta/Porter-Cable/et al is for sale.

Both are decent products, as are others. Which dealer do you want to deal with, should there be a problem? That's likely the more critical question.

Patriarch, who, BTW, drives GMC trucks, and sensible european automobiles.

Reply to
patriarch

I say Delta, for one reason. Resale value.

--

> Delta =

> Gary

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Jack up a Unifence, drive something under it that calls itself a table saw, and you won't be unhappy.

To paraphrase J Carvelle's comment from the '92 election, "It's the fence stupid".

Seriously, pick the fence you like, let the saw tag along for the ride.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well at the risk of being flamed.. Brand loyalty is kinda dumb when it comes to wood working tools. PC makes great tools. Their 556 Plate Joiner, Detail sander and one of their routers was crap. Bosch makes great tools. I have 2 Bosch routers and have broken 3 of their drills, one with a Bosch rep watching. Skil makes a great worm drive circle saw. You can keep the rest of the Skil equipment. A year ago I would say go with a Milwaukee jig saw and pass on the Bosch. Today, now that the Bosch has a very recently come out with a good and finally fast blade change system like the Milwaukee I would say get either one. And so on and so on and so on. Go with the brand that currently is producing the better tool.

Reply to
Leon

Shoot Bill, I would hope a Unisaw would not have to be replaced. ;~) But, then he is a beginner.

Reply to
Leon

------ Snip good advice ------

This is why I rarely buy tools without touching them.

The only point I can add is feel. People's hands are different. For instance, I love the way a certain brand of cordless drill feels in my hand, others hate it.

I'm even pickier with hand tools, so if I buy any by mail, they always come from somewhere with a liberal return policy. Sometimes, there may be nothing "wrong" with a particular tool, only that I prefer the feel of another.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I would go with the Delta with a Unifence.

You can't get the fence on a Jet.

Just my preference.

Both are good saws however.

Rob

> Delta =

> Gary

Reply to
Rob

> Delta =

> Gary

When I faced a similar decision Keeter's advice helped me decide. Here's a repost of his message from 02/14/2001:

"There are actually several options when looking to buy a table saw. There's Jet, Grizzly, Powermatic and Delta. There are things about each that you should know before deciding. I'll es'plain them here.

The Jet: If you are the type that wears an ascot in the shop, the Jet is the way to go for you. You'll enjoy the hours spent cleaning, waxing and maintaining it's creamy white color. Before long you'll be sporting a monocle and one of those long cigarette holders. The children will learn to love being called Scooter and Buffy.

The Grizzly: This saw says, "I'm a working man and don't want to spend the money for a Jet, Powermatic or Delta and y'all can just go to Hell". You most likely wear blue jeans (Levi's Jeff) and a tee shirt around the shop. You most likely wear blue jeans and a tee shirt to a wedding. You most likely wear blue jeans and a tee shirt just about everywhere.

The Powermatic: This saw says, "I'm a pretentious prick".

The Delta: If your body contains even one ounce of funk you'll find yourself walking past the above and heading straight to the Delta. You won't pick the Plutonium Edition. That would make you an ascot wearing pretentious twit. No, you kindly ask for the gray one. If your body had more funk you'd hunt down a used one fully knowing that a used machine can/could be just as good as a new one and never loses it's value, if properly maintained. The more funk your body has, the older the saw. If your body could hold enough funk, you'd be on the quest for the Holy Grail of table saws, a 50's vintage Unisaw with the cast iron base, Cutler-Hammer two pole 'lektikal switch and Art Deco switch cover. If, as I've said, your body could hold enough funk.

Check your closet before deciding and good luck with the new saw.

Keith Bohn"

-- Jack Novak Stuck wear'n an ascot in Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Replaced? No. Inherited? Maybe. I know it's tough to consider, but some of my heirs probably won't want to work wood. I hope they have enough trees around to make it a real decision.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

The Audacity...!!!!! Inherit a fine tool or machine and sell it.... Humph. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

a repost of his message from 02/14/2001: SNIP

Like, OH MY GAUD..... I have the Jet and my sons nick name is Scooter.... no kidding...

But I always wear blue jeans... and my saw has a great brown spot the same size and shape as my hand and fingers.... no kidding.. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I hope you wear a safety monacle

Reply to
Greg Millen

I went with the Unisaw myself but I live in a pretty remote corner of Wisconsin and service was a factor, although after 6 years I have yet to need service. I do think if it's a matters for you the splitter/guard design on the Unisaw is superior to the Jet for setup as well as quick easy removal when it has to come off. I also think if you lift up the skirts on that Jet and have a look you will find the trunion design inferior to to the Delta... but hell I'm just an armchair engineer so thats not a really informed opinion...

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson