Help Please! Over my head (long)

Page 2 of 2
Hello there,

You wife is so big she needs a saddle?
Perhaps your solution in in the design.
Why not construct the chest using mahogany ply with a decorative corner detail out of solid mahogany over the biscuit corner. You could use the same detailing in the trunk stand. I am willing to bet that as long as the edges are decorative your wife and her friends won't know the difference.

the
find
You
someone
already
wood
her
if
need

One would think it would be much cheaper to buy the chest than get a new wife...those upgrades are expensive :)
(DAMHIKT!)
Rob
http://www.amateurtermite.com
Wow, thanks to everyone for the replies! I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do here but I've seen some good ideas. I'm going to let her take a look at a couple books with finishes in them to see if anything else jumps out at her. This might be the craziest idea of all but I've been considering buying a very nice hand saw and a couple high quality chisels and practicing my heart out on hand cut dovetails this weekend. I'm sure I'll need to give myself a crash course in sharpening (scary) as well but maybe if I sneak up on the cuts with the handsaw and finish them carefully with a truly sharp chisel I'll end up with something nice. I'm thinking the idea about building a frame and using plywood to fill the large space might be the way to go here. I'll try to mention the idea again and see if I get the same look.
There is a Woodcraft store about 20 miles east of me and a Rockler about 20 miles south so I think I'll probably make a round trip through both this weekend and bug the folks that work at each with novice questions. I'm sure they love that kind of thing on a busy day. I'm betting one or both will have some good books on hand cut dovetails too.
-Chris

the
find
You
someone
already
wood
her
if
need

For anyone still tuned in to this, I went Friday and bought a Dozuki saw, a couple chisels, a Veritas sharpening guide, marking gauge, Starret combo square plus some other odds and ends. I also bout the Complete Guide to Sharpening, Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking and the Treasure Chests book recommended below. Oh, and a Video on hand cut dovetails plus some pine to practice on. I spent much of yesterday reading about proper sharpening and then picked up some 1000 and 2000 grit wet paper. I've been playing around with it this morning and I've got a pretty good lap on the back of one of my chisels now. I'm still trying to figure out when I've gone far enough on the bevel though. I think I'll ask about that in a new post though. I don't think I'm going to get this done within my budget but I do think I've got a plan to make a nice chest now. Thanks again for all the ideas!
-Chris