Help Please

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:49:38 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Sure, that can work fine. It'll surely keep the dado straight- but it's still useful to pre-cut with the TS (if you're not in a rush) to eliminate tearout. It also ensures that the dado is square to the leading edge of the panel (Yes, I know- careful layout will do that as well.)
I'm not trying to change your mind, of course- half the fun of wood working is figuring out the best way to do any given thing, and there are tons of different methods for each task.

Are you using a straight bit or an upcut spiral? If straight, try a spiral. In my experience straight bits cut a little oversize.