Help picking rails for dresser draws

Page 2 of 2

David wrote: I agree with Swingman on this one. Build the dresser and then fit the drawers to the cabinet. Much easier to tweak a drawer to fit and opening than to tweak an opening to fit an existing drawer.
(that's why I wished the OP luck.) Tom

The reason I built the draws first, is because i had some free maple and time in the shop. I did not make the face for the drawers yet. I know it would be tough to get it to fit the frame. I just made the boxes
Tim tdev wrote: The reason I built the draws first, is because i had some free maple and time in the shop. I did not make the face for the drawers yet. I know it would be tough to get it to fit the frame. I just made the boxes
Well, not insurmountable, I'm sure. You can make the drawer fronts with the ability to fine tune their placement, drilling larger holes in the boxes, and using washer-type-headed fasteners. You can shim to the required clearance for the slides, too. All this could cause the drawers to be "slot-specific" though, with each one fitted for it's specific cavity only. At least that's one way, I think. Tom

I do not see the difficulty of mounting the drawer face after the frame is made. Maybe I am missing something important here. After the frames are made. I will make up the drawer face to fit flush into the frame. Then use the pull hardware holes to attach the face to the box, open the drawer and attach it properly. The boxes are within 1/64" of each other and square. Yes the drawers proubly would be slot specific, I am shooting for 1/32" gap on all sides. Wishfull thinking on my part, but I will try for that.
Tim
I don't know much about woodworking, but I think you're supposed to build the case first, then the drawers. Each drawer then can be custom fit to the opening if need be. It would be really hard to build a case around a set of drawers and get the same fit.
Mike
<tdevery> wrote in message

If you build it this way this time, you will probably reverse the order if you ever do it again.
Not a bad Idea to plan the size of the drawers first because with many DT jigs you are limited to specific increments in drawer height but not a great idea building them first.

Personally I do not like metal slides on pieces of furniture. I would suggest simply building hard wood web frames and drawer sides and build to close tolerances.