Help on some finish work?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well now that the next cast iron(MDF) is no longer a sin, how do feel about the other "wood" called miratec ???
http://www.miratectrim.com /
Fascia board that don't rot ???? who would have thunk it ...
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:07:25 -0400, the infamous Pat Barber

I haven't tried either yet, but I think I'd prefer AZEK, et al, instead. http://www.azek.com /
Composites do die, mostly because of drowning. (They eventually soak up water.) My clients usually choose PT wood for the lower price and some have already been disappointed by Trex and the other composites due to staining, delamination, pitting from rain, and fading.
-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

I won't comment on what the material is since it's tough to really know from a photo. I just finished up the trim in our new home over the weekend; we modeled it after a 1917 prairie style home we now have as a rental. I came into about 3k linear feet of quarter and rift sawn red oak, ~5" wide x heavy 4/4, random lengths 8-12' so I used that to make the trim. Painted it all builder's white of course since I didn't want to see all that straight boring grain and those funny rays; luckily there was only one knot to fill in the whole house.
The headers, and legs for door's are the same thickness in both the repro and the original. The juncture at the bottom of the door is managed by plinth blocks with about 1/8" to 3/32" reveal. Plinths are about 3/8" taller than the base, IIRC. In the photo you linked to the legs go all the way to the floor. If you have a wide baseboard with tile/wood/laminate you'll probably need some sort of shoe molding. Even if the floor is perfectly flat now, in 50 years it probably won't be. If you don't like the qtr round, you can make the shoe taller and integrate it into the visual for the base so it doesn't look like it was added in a fit of desperation.
As has been said elsewhere in replies to your message: mock up a full door (and window if you can) before you commit to production. During the mock up you can play with the subtle details even you already have a basic plan.
(Ok, for those actually read this message: finish was really two coats Pratt & Lambert stain followed by two coats of ML Campbell lacquer, but there is really only one visible knot and it's in a closet.)
hex -30-