Help needed with crop circle

Page 1 of 2

Not really. :-) It's a Herb Circle that SWMBO wants me to build. It's an outdoor herb garden made with 12 slightly tapered 3' redwood 2x12 planks buried in a 12' circle flush with the ground. She found the design in a gardening magazine.
The magazine article says, "To prevent cupping and warping score the bottom of each plank with several 1/8" cuts using a circular saw."
My question is, does this really work?
TIA, Vince
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

Vince Heuring wrote:

Sure! And it decreases the friction when they slide against the metal in the ground. Just remember to lap them to .0001. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

She should read the old Mother Earth News articles, and plant in recycled tires painted white... :-)
The last time I priced all heart redwood 2x12's, I about choked. And it's a 90 minute drive from here to the Redwood Empire, at least according to the highway signs, so freight isn't the problem. And redwood sapwood doesn't have the rot resistance for which one seeks redwood in the first place.
The redwood is going to last about ten years or so, at least in my raised bed gardens. It's going to cup anyway, pretty much whatever you do. I mean, one side is dry, and the other is buried in dirt that you get wet three times a week, minimum. My advice is to price the redwood, then ask your wife if she wants the garden that badly. Proceed according to your best judgement.
Those precast concrete cobblestones make a nice herb garden.
Patriarch
On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:13:11 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch

I find it hard to believe that MEN would publish something like that, given all the chemicals which leach out of the old tires.

Yeah, take your portable defib to the lumber yard for large decking lumber. You'll need it.

It's not as bad up here as it was in CA.

Excellent idea. Also, rebarred concrete block makes a nice platform. Use a green concrete stain on it to blend it into the landscape once it's up and filled.

I just plant my basil in the ground-level garden with the rest of the goodies. My tenbuhten will have cantaloupe, buttercrunch lettuce, spaghetti squash, radishes, carrots, basil, broccoli, green beans, Oregon sugar pod peas, cabbage, and okra, all from seed. I picked up a packet of "mixed herbs" free at the home improvement store in town a couple weeks ago. It contains dill (ick), sweet marjoram, summer savory, and Italian basil, so I might give it a couple square feet, too. I'll till tomorrow and put last year's drip irrigation back into use again. What a difference in plant growth and lack of weeds!
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
<snip>

I didn't say it was smart, just that it was published in a known rag back then. Lotsa stupid stuff said & done in the Seventies.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Other than being butt-ugly, I'd be real surprise to find a significant problem if simply were washed thoroughly initially. Many large tires were used as the rim for cattle water tanks for a while--they don't get bent easily as do metal ones. They became less popular mostly because they're just too heavy to move around.

Thing about the tires - if they're leaching, why are they used for retaining walls in Golden Gate Park, Larry?

So you're telling us they are completely safe, and the tire disposal fee and hazardous waste disposal fee and the rest of the handling taxes imposed here in California are bogus? Who would have thought?
I guess you just can't trust politicians these days... ;-)
Patriarch
Yep. We had the same kind of "Tire Tax" up here. When the local government lifted the tax - we never found what the did with the money raised - we still had the same, but larger, tire piles. -- PDQ
On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:01:51 -0400, the inscrutable "PDQ"

I think Arizona, NM, and Nevada are all recycling them into their roadways. Ditto the red roofing tiles. They're crushed and mixed into the roadbed. Some NV roads (US395 from CA to LV) are pink as a result.
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
Patriarch wrote:

There are many compelling reasons to regulate the management and disposal of waste tires, including concerns for public health, because of the breeding of disease carrying mosquitos, the potential for fire hazards, as well as the expense of cleaning up after tire fires. For these and other reasons, many states concluded that throwing waste tires into stockpiles presented environmental and public health concerns, and that burying them in a landfill consumed valuable landfill space and wasted a resource.
It's not because of leaching at all.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Dave, I have you twit filtered so I no longer put up with your crap. (That means no reply is necessary, got it?)

Here's irony for ya: http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/2003_April_May/Green_Gazette Scroll down to "Gardeners: Tread Lightly:" Tires are made from hydrocarbons which are known to be carcinogenic, so why take a chance?

Ya think?
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

Then don't snipe at me from behind your killfile. Intellectual cowardice is beneath you, I would have thought.

Fuzzy science. How...unexpected. So, why are those tires there, Larry?
Larry Jaques wrote: ...

There's the difference between the <form> of the hydrocarbon...there has to be a signficant pathway for exposure.

Um, I'm not telling anyone anything other than those tire walls are there. Draw your own conclusions, but I figure if they have 'em in SF of all places, then the're probably not as bad as the alarmists would make them out to be.

Agreed there.
Patriarch wrote:

I wouldn't say anything is "completely" safe under all circumstances, but the chemical hazard from tire-"leaching" is pretty far down for ordinary water chemistry.
The primary problem/cost w/ disposal of tires is the volume required in landfills and the problem of large piles occasionally getting lit. The disposal fees are an attempt to have some revenues to provide mechanisms to counter this. How efeective they are seems to depend on jursidiction--here they're using it to subside recycling and it seems to work reasonably well.

Reminds me of a scam I read about years ago. Seem that there was a city who required a fee to dispose of the itres. A new firm showed up with trucks and began to take care of this business. All the former folks were glad to get rid of the business because it was not profitable. This new firm did well at this for a year or two. Then they vanished.
An investigation discovered that they had collected millions of dollars. And deposited all the tires in a big, old warehouse they had rented. Leaving the warehouse owner with a big sized disposal problem.
Lee Michaels wrote: ...

Alway possible if oversight not maintained...here it is State-controlled and has been in place for something approaching 20 years now. Don't know of any significant problems to date.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:21:03 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch

Oh, yeah. Everyone was still "coming down" from the Sixties.
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

The chocolate bar I bought at the health food store had all that in it....