Help needed for newbie: Size of Wood screws

Curious wrote: ...

I used some 3" deck screws that happened to be laying on the bench when I sat the saw down...figured I'd replace at some point but it's now been

5 years so don't guess it really needed anything more...

Geez!!!

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

the manufacturer of the saw did not manufacture the bench. therefore they have no control over what hardware will be necessary to make the connection. I mean, get real, dude. it's a bottom end chinese miter saw. it's meant to either languish unused in a hobbyist's shop or be consumed as a disposable on jobsites where abuse and/or theft are uncontrollable. you're lucky they even gave you mounting holes.

Reply to
bridger

I presume this is a troll. Good job!

Reply to
toller

When I built my first boat, I was stumped as to what size the screws should be to hold the planking to the frames. I called the designer; he woke me up when he told me that I was going to have to use common sense over and over in building the boat and now would be a good time to get started in that direction. Enough said!

Reply to
Dave W

LOL ...now trying to figure out how/why/where my Dad, a geophysicist, was designing boats??

Both my daughters will also tell you that they have heard that more than a few times themselves.

Reply to
Swingman

manufacturer's

I have to disagree. The manufacturer of the saw made the mounting holes, and every mounting hole has a fixed diameter. In terms of safety considerations, it would have been a badly engineered product if they hadn't provided mounting holes to fasten the saw on to a workbench. The manufacturer of the saw DID provide the mounting holes, so why not the documentation of the diameter of the hole?

I'm pretty sure that the mechanical engineering team who designed the product has an exact number for the diameter of the mounting holes (or every screw for that matter). The CAD/CAM draftsman or operator would need that number. Somehow, someone along the way thinks that it is not important enough to document it or someone thinks that it is in their best interest not to document it.

If it is just an example of "familiarity (through standardization) breeds contempt", I would accept it as an acceptable explanation to this newbie to the world of carpentry. That is the reason why I asked in my original post whether saw manufacturers have standardized on the diameters of these mounting hole or not.

Sorry I asked this question in a carpentry forum. Perhaps a better forum to ask is a mechanical engineering forum.

Reply to
Curious

Curious wrote: ...

Because anyone w/ an eye could tell the size simply by looking at them, and if not, it would take about 15 seconds (30 at most) to measure them to see...

Actually, this is such a trivial issue it wasn't worth asking to begin with...no one here could see your particular saw and you could have measured them 10-times over in the time it took to post the original message and you could have been to the store, bought the bolts and put them in in the subsequent time wasted... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Last comment on what I'd consider to be an inane discussion. As far as I'm concerned, if one needs documentation to provide hole size data for properly fastening down the saw, then I'd consider that individual too inexperienced to be using the saw anyway.

What you're asking about is documentation that takes hand-holding to the extreme.

Reply to
Upscale

Sure, they know the hole size. So what? That has nothing to do with the engineering of the mounting system. They poke a hole using standard sized tooling so that hole will fit a variety of fasteners, best determined by the owner and user according to what it is mounted to. I'm sure that if it is a metal table that 1/8" or 3/8" or M6 bolts will suffice in 99.9% of the situations. If mounted on wood, any screw long enough will work. I happened to have dome drywall screws handy at the time so I used them. I probably have a half dozen others that would work too. Or even none at all as I have for a long time to maintain portability.

In spite of you comments about safety considerations, tens of thousands of saws are used on job sites every day with no mounting They sit on a table top, planks, picnic tables, truck tailgates, front steps of the house, etc. My DeWalt has two holes in each foot so you can easily use whatever fastener is readily available. Just nail it down and start working.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agreed.

inexperienced

Reply to
CW

Scotty (to new cadet trainee mechanic): This bloody Heisenberg induction coil unit is rattling. Hand me a washer to steady it, will you? Cadet: What size do you need, Sir? Scotty: 3/8 of an inch. You'd better have that memorized before you graduate from the academy. Cadet: Eh, what's an "inch", Sir? Scotty: Laddie, laddie! It's 4.76 micro-kellicams. Cadet: Oh, about...eh, 9.5 mm. Scotty: Yes. Cadet: I'll get right on it, Sir. [And off he went.] Scotty [turning to the science officer]: Cadets these days don't have any bloody common sense. Mr. Science Officer: It's actually closer to 9.53mm, Mr. Scott.

Reply to
Curious

Interesting that you should make the point of what others told you. 3/8",

9.5 mm, 9.53 mm, 8 mm, does not matter. They all will get the job done. If it fits through the hole, it will work.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Also applies to some other things as I remember.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

mounting a chopsaw to a bench is optional. I have owned a half dozen or so of them over the years and have never bolted one down, and doubt I ever will.

because the freakin' hole is right there in front of you. it is assumed that if you are cutting pieces of wood with a power saw that you have and can use a measuring device of some sort, and that you have at least a bare minimum of common sense.

not important enough. frankly, you can use any fastener you like, as long as it will fit through the hole. if the head is too small, put a washer under it. a drywall screw with a fender washer is well more than adequate.

they have not. nor will they.

you'll get the same answers.

Reply to
bridger

snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A 'carpentry' forum?!? Should I feel offended? ;-)

I thought our stuff was better than that.

And the poster to whom Bridger was replying would be well served to refer back to the recent common sense thread.

As usual, Bridger, a calm, well-reasoned response.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Yeah, but will the saw have a good time?

Dan

Reply to
d.kessell

What? Decade-long threads about RBS and poly (if not politics) didn't clue you in, Glenn?

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So I put RBS on the redwood fences, and poly on the door trim, and this place is now alt.home.repair?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

No, that's over on the alt.home.repair forum. We're still the Wreck, but a lot of the same talk happens here. Always has. C'est la vie and all that.

- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? -

Full Service Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques