Help needed for newbie: Size of Wood screws

Page 2 of 2

Last comment on what I'd consider to be an inane discussion. As far as I'm concerned, if one needs documentation to provide hole size data for properly fastening down the saw, then I'd consider that individual too inexperienced to be using the saw anyway.
What you're asking about is documentation that takes hand-holding to the extreme.
Agreed.
wrote in message

Sure, they know the hole size. So what? That has nothing to do with the engineering of the mounting system. They poke a hole using standard sized tooling so that hole will fit a variety of fasteners, best determined by the owner and user according to what it is mounted to. I'm sure that if it is a metal table that 1/8" or 3/8" or M6 bolts will suffice in 99.9% of the situations. If mounted on wood, any screw long enough will work. I happened to have dome drywall screws handy at the time so I used them. I probably have a half dozen others that would work too. Or even none at all as I have for a long time to maintain portability.
In spite of you comments about safety considerations, tens of thousands of saws are used on job sites every day with no mounting They sit on a table top, planks, picnic tables, truck tailgates, front steps of the house, etc. My DeWalt has two holes in each foot so you can easily use whatever fastener is readily available. Just nail it down and start working.

mounting a chopsaw to a bench is optional. I have owned a half dozen or so of them over the years and have never bolted one down, and doubt I ever will.

because the freakin' hole is right there in front of you. it is assumed that if you are cutting pieces of wood with a power saw that you have and can use a measuring device of some sort, and that you have at least a bare minimum of common sense.

not important enough. frankly, you can use any fastener you like, as long as it will fit through the hole. if the head is too small, put a washer under it. a drywall screw with a fender washer is well more than adequate.

they have not. nor will they.

snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in
<snip>

A 'carpentry' forum?!? Should I feel offended? ;-)
I thought our stuff was better than that.
And the poster to whom Bridger was replying would be well served to refer back to the recent common sense thread.
As usual, Bridger, a calm, well-reasoned response.
Patriarch
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:09:49 -0500, the opaque Patriarch

What? Decade-long threads about RBS and poly (if not politics) didn't clue you in, Glenn? <tsk tsk tsk>
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
<snip>

So I put RBS on the redwood fences, and poly on the door trim, and this place is now alt.home.repair?
Patriarch
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:08:42 -0500, the opaque Patriarch

No, that's over on the alt.home.repair forum. We're still the Wreck, but a lot of the same talk happens here. Always has. C'est la vie and all that.
- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? - http://diversify.com Full Service Web Application Programming

one that the threaded part will fit through the hole but the head won't....
Curious (in dtize.1895663$6l.995722@pd7tw2no) said:
| I just bought a compound miter saw (Mastercraft 8.25", 55-6814-8),
| The manual did not spell out what size of wood screws or metal | bolts should be used to mount the saw to a wooden or metal work | surface. Is this screw size a particularly standardized one? Any | suggestion as to what that diameter might be would be greatly | appreciated. Thanks Curious newbie
McFeely's has a helpful chart of wood screw dimensions in their catalog.
I've posted a chart with some machine screw (inch only, no metric yet) info at the link below.
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/CNC/TapTable.html
said:

Thanks for the table of data.
Curious wrote: ...

I used some 3" deck screws that happened to be laying on the bench when I sat the saw down...figured I'd replace at some point but it's now been 5 years so don't guess it really needed anything more...
Geez!!!

I presume this is a troll. Good job!
When I built my first boat, I was stumped as to what size the screws should be to hold the planking to the frames. I called the designer; he woke me up when he told me that I was going to have to use common sense over and over in building the boat and now would be a good time to get started in that direction. Enough said!
"Dave W" wrote in message

LOL ...now trying to figure out how/why/where my Dad, a geophysicist, was designing boats??
Both my daughters will also tell you that they have heard that more than a few times themselves.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Scotty (to new cadet trainee mechanic): This bloody Heisenberg induction coil unit is rattling. Hand me a washer to steady it, will you? Cadet: What size do you need, Sir? Scotty: 3/8 of an inch. You'd better have that memorized before you graduate from the academy. Cadet: Eh, what's an "inch", Sir? Scotty: Laddie, laddie! It's 4.76 micro-kellicams. Cadet: Oh, about...eh, 9.5 mm. Scotty: Yes. Cadet: I'll get right on it, Sir. [And off he went.] Scotty [turning to the science officer]: Cadets these days don't have any bloody common sense. Mr. Science Officer: It's actually closer to 9.53mm, Mr. Scott.

Interesting that you should make the point of what others told you. 3/8", 9.5 mm, 9.53 mm, 8 mm, does not matter. They all will get the job done. If it fits through the hole, it will work.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Also applies to some other things as I remember<G>.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, but will the saw have a good time?
Dan