HELP! NEED TO DESIGN WINE RACK!

Have a small wet bar I'm forced to redo. Originally they had a 36 inch sink cabinet. 24 width is better I'd like to build an 18 inch sink area and need to store 24 bottles. Keeping the cabinet depth to a minimum......Any Ideas Greatly Appreciated! Joe

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Joe:

Can't give you plans as I never did any except in my head.

What I did about 12 years ago was to get some maple boards at the local wood place, HD if I remember right.

1 8' 1"X12" pre glued up 2 8' 1"X4" solid 2 8' 1"X6" solid

(note all dimensions are nominal as this was S4S wood)

In the 1X4s I used a hole saw to cut centered holes with a 2" hole saw in an electric drill, spaced 5" OC. The 1X6s got 3 1/2" holes on the same centers and at the same relative center positions along the board.

I ripped the 1X4 and 1X6 down the center, getting 2 pieces from each that had half circles at the edge. These are the racking shelves.

I dadoed the 12" board with a hand held router and a 3/4" straight bit about 2" in from each side, so the 1X4 and 1X6 would slip in.

The 12" board was cross cut in half to provide 2 4' sides.

The racks were spaced in the sides using pine (all I could find) 3/4" molding. Bottoms of 4" and 6" pieces are level, resulting in a tilt to the front hole to keep the corks wet. Molding on the top and sides was poorly fit (old wooden mortise box and older back saw that was my Dad's), but color contrast is nice.

Everything was just glued and clamped, no screws, nails, etc. All the pressure is nearly vertical and I don't move it around when it's full of bottles.

Sorry for the poor description. Pictures are at:

you can easily figure it out from there.

Finish, BTW, was wiped on BullsEye shellac (I didn't know any better then) and Johnson's paste wax. Only power tools were an old (1980's) C'sman router, a 1970's Skil Saw (all metal!) and an electric drill of the same vintage.

Still have all three and they still work but are rarely used.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

Vwey Nice Work!!! I can cut the width down to 4 bottles and raise the hieght

1 more row... That would do it nicely! Thanks, Joe
Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Ditch the rack. Buy a wine refrigerator at Home Depot for $129. Holds 30 bottles at drinking temperature in a space 20" wide and about 33" high.

The rest of the wine I have in cases laid on their side sitting on the shelves of an old entertainment center. I keep a few varieties in the fridge, the other 200 or so bottles in the boxes. Not pretty, but not visible to guests either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agreed. If he's the type that takes particular enjoyment from having a small collection of wine, then a wine fridge is the way to go unless he has a continuously cool location in the basement or something like that.

Reply to
Upscale

I agree with the cool, with a proviso.

I keep 15 or 20 bottles in the rack ready to drink, the rest (~600 bottles) are in cases in the wine cooler (an insulated closet with its own AC and thermostat). The house doesn't get above 78 F and I've had no problems, even if a bottle is in the rack for 12 months or so. I'm not talking plonk either. Check the pictures I sent to OP and you'll see a couple of Chateau Lafitte's, a couple of Chateau Mouton, and a fairly nice Margaux or two.

Age the wine in the cool, but don't be afraid you're going to hurt it at reasonable temperatures for a reasonable period.

That being said, a small fridge isn't a bad idea, it's just not real elegant.

Reply to
Tom Banes

I really can't see the big deal over alcoholic grape juice but I guess if you're into it...

Reply to
CW