Help me ID this wood?

I'm getting ready to build myself a little box to hold the Japanese chisels SWMBO gave me for Xmas (I transport them back and forth to the community college for my WW class). I decided to make it out of some walnut left over from last semester but with an interesting top of some sort.
At the local Rockler store today I was sorting through their selection of "box top" material (swear to God it was labeled that way). Mostly burl slices and spalted this and thats. I found one I really like and brought it home, but I'm not sure what it is and the guy behind the counter couldn't help me. I'll try to describe it as best I can; if anybody has a good guess, I'd be interested.
The piece has three main colors. The lightest looks something like a figured maple. The darkest is about the shade of ground cinammon with darker, circular "leopard spots". In between is a sort of orangey-rosy color, again with somewhat darker leopard spots. The spots and the swirls give the surface of a sort of boiling oil kind of appearance. Sorry for all the inexact descriptors, but if anybody would like to get a look at it, drop me a private e-mail and I can send a picture.
TIA, Ian
How about uploading the picture to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? So we can all look at it. That's what most folks on here do. Good luck. Joe

Ian Dodd wrote:

Can you just post it to ABPW?
as wood usually photographs CRAP maybe you could scan it and then post it to the binaries group suggested.
Steve

Sounds like aged birdseye maple. The transition zone from sap to heartwood isn't always cinnamon colored, but can have mineral staining - green to black - in it as well. If you get wood from the vicinity of an injury site, it can really show a lot of variation.