Help Me! I'm Biscuit clueless.

I would like to start using biscuits in my box work but don't want to spent a ton on a cutter. I have never used one or even seen one in action. The Dewalt looks cool, but out of my price range. I'm looking to spend around a$100. Can I get a cutter for this money. What is the downside to the cheaper models. Some of my work involves connecting a beveled edge to different beveled edges. Things like square bowls, etc.
snipped-for-privacy@noaddress.here wrote in

Harbor Freight has a couple for under $60 - but I can't speak to their quality. I have a Dewalt and it does everything I want it to do...I can't imagine what these cheaper ones don't do that it does though.
Anonymoose notes:

How about cut slots the right width, depth, etc. because the blade doesn't wobble on the arbor?
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
snipped-for-privacy@noaddress.here wrote in

I think this is a situation where you need to spend the money for a quality tool. I bought one of those cheap ones from eBay and it's next to worthless. I've tried it several times and it's impossible to line up and the cutter must be made out of aluminum for all the good it does. Save your pennies and buy a good one. You can also do the slotting w/a router if you don't want to spend any more money.
--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper
On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:42:48 -0500, Casey Stamper

FYI, I use a router & slot bit, but getting the depth set just right is sometimes a real PITA.
Depends on your needs & standards, I guess.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
snipped-for-privacy@noaddress.here wrote in

You're not going to be happy with one of the no name machines. If you're really budget constrained a slot cutter mounted in a router is a much better solution than a no name biscuit cutter, and cheaper
On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:34:44 -0500, Secret Squirrel <Secret> wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm in Canada and I'm eye balling this Dewalt clone.
http://oemproamtools.com/King/8306.htm
Anyone have an opinion on this unit. I have a couple big King tools that I like very much.
Looks OK. I picked up a used Dewalt on ebay for that price. It arrived looking and working like brand new and with about a grocery bag full of biscuits of all 3 sizes. Shop around.
Todd L

Well I take that back. I didn't notice that was CDN currency. :)
Todd L

you're

My DeWalt was $99 USD - a WW Show Special from Woodcraft. But what about this fellow: http://www.toolseeker.com/PowerTools/PBJoiner/OM535K.asp?var1=OM535K ?
If you are using mitered joints I would strongly suggest you bite the bullet and get the Type III Porter Cable 557. It is great for cutting slots on miters even if the pieces of wood are different thicknesses.
Leon, i like the P-C 557, but i had to remove the bag. keeps plugging up one me. daviswoodshop

bullet

bullet
And comes with the 2" wheel for doing the small FF (face frame) biscuits
Got one in Feb from HD..Was priced @ $ 199, on sale for 169..After that at the counter they gave me a "mail in" for a $ 30.00 Gift Card so it really cost $ 139.00 Almost as cheap as the "cheap" Ryobi.

Dang Rudy,, if you had worked that a little harder you may have gotten it for free... :~)
I got on the same deal and it was a type 3 which had the problems of the type 1 and type 2 fixed. Save the biscuits in a airtight containers or don't open them. RS