Help Me! I'm Biscuit clueless.

I would like to start using biscuits in my box work but don't want to spent a ton on a cutter. I have never used one or even seen one in action. The Dewalt looks cool, but out of my price range. I'm looking to spend around a$100. Can I get a cutter for this money. What is the downside to the cheaper models. Some of my work involves connecting a beveled edge to different beveled edges. Things like square bowls, etc.

Reply to
frankr

snipped-for-privacy@noaddress.here wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Harbor Freight has a couple for under $60 - but I can't speak to their quality. I have a Dewalt and it does everything I want it to do...I can't imagine what these cheaper ones don't do that it does though.

Reply to
Anonymoose

snipped-for-privacy@noaddress.here wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think this is a situation where you need to spend the money for a quality tool. I bought one of those cheap ones from eBay and it's next to worthless. I've tried it several times and it's impossible to line up and the cutter must be made out of aluminum for all the good it does. Save your pennies and buy a good one. You can also do the slotting w/a router if you don't want to spend any more money.

Reply to
Casey Stamper

Anonymoose notes:

How about cut slots the right width, depth, etc. because the blade doesn't wobble on the arbor?

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

snipped-for-privacy@noaddress.here wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're not going to be happy with one of the no name machines. If you're really budget constrained a slot cutter mounted in a router is a much better solution than a no name biscuit cutter, and cheaper

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm in Canada and I'm eye balling this Dewalt clone.

have an opinion on this unit. I have a couple big King tools that I like very much.

Reply to
frankr

Looks OK. I picked up a used Dewalt on ebay for that price. It arrived looking and working like brand new and with about a grocery bag full of biscuits of all 3 sizes. Shop around.

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

Well I take that back. I didn't notice that was CDN currency. :)

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

If you are using mitered joints I would strongly suggest you bite the bullet and get the Type III Porter Cable 557. It is great for cutting slots on miters even if the pieces of wood are different thicknesses.

Reply to
Leon

this fellow:

?

Reply to
mttt

FYI, I use a router & slot bit, but getting the depth set just right is sometimes a real PITA.

Depends on your needs & standards, I guess.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Leon, i like the P-C 557, but i had to remove the bag. keeps plugging up one me. daviswoodshop

"Leon" wrote

Reply to
sawdust

And comes with the 2" wheel for doing the small FF (face frame) biscuits

Got one in Feb from HD..Was priced @ $ 199, on sale for 169..After that at the counter they gave me a "mail in" for a $ 30.00 Gift Card so it really cost $ 139.00 Almost as cheap as the "cheap" Ryobi.

Rudy

Dang Rudy,, if you had worked that a little harder you may have gotten it for free... :~)

Reply to
Leon