Help me fix a chair... please?

The chair back consists of six turned rails supporting a flatter piece at the top. The round ends of the rails fit into a round hole in the back piece at the top and a similar hole in the seat at the bottom. There's a picture of one like it at -
http://www.biodiversity911.org/forests/watch_out.html
Now the kids have managed to break one of the rails which has broken in the middle and at the top end which has snapped off flush with where it inserts into the top piece. I don't reallty want to dismantle the whole thing, I would have to get the other five rails out if I wanted to do that. I could waggle the piece back into position with glue on the ends and then clamp it down hard, but I don't think end to end glued joints work very well. I suppose I could drill out and put small dowels in. Any ideas?
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro

snipped-for-privacy@noone.com wrote:

Thanks - I was struggling to make myself clear but you have the gist.

I was thinking of repairing the broken spindle rather than turning a new one, no lathe for a start. I guess I coudl take it all out, rebuild and insert as you suggest.
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro
I used some threaded rod with nuts & washers to spread a couple of pieces with holes drilled in the end for the rod. Worked slowly using hot vinegar dripped around the spindles to soften the glue. Worked better than expected. Take a spindle somewhere for duplication and reassemble.

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net (Bob Bowles) wrote:

Thanks - I'll go for it...