HELP - Jewelry Box Liner

I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options including:

- self adhesive velvet

- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end builders)

- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring slots. I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best ways to make it pretty.

Thank you RonB

Reply to
RonB

seen a lmethodice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite

the card method is what I like

Reply to
Richard Clements

I've tried all three and the dress quality velvet definitely looks best although it is a pain working with. Spray adhesive and gluing it to card stock seemed to be the best way to go. Lee Valley has some of the self adhesive velvet but they seem to be dropping it and only have a few colours left.

Rick

R>I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite

Reply to
RKG

Rick: What kind of spray adhesive do you use? I have some of the 3M general purpose but wasn't sure if it would hold.

Thanks

Ron

Reply to
RonB

The local home hardware here had loctite so I used it to glue the velvet to the card then used wood glue to glue the card to the drawer. Seems to have held for my grandaughters for a year now anyway.

Rick

R>Rick:

Reply to
RKG

Mon, Dec 13, 2004, 9:12am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (RonB) wants to know: Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best ways to make it pretty.

Ah, flock it.

JOAT We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.

- unknown

Reply to
J T

go to the fabric store and get "Fabric Tack" it works great

Reply to
Richard Clements

Hi Ron. I just use spray on contact cement, just a light coat on both parts and let it set as per directions. As for the ring holders, if you have an independent jewelry maker in your area ask him/her where they get the foam backed velvet inserts for their display cases. If your in southern Ontario around Toronto I can try and find the place I used for that stuff. Good luck Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

And take a peek at some of the heavy silks while you are there. You might decide to lose the velvet.:)

Reply to
Gino

if you use silk, you have to pad it, fabric tack soaks though on silk

Reply to
Richard Clements

I liked the self stick velvet from Rockler, Was very easy to apply, looks good. I did 3 boxes 2 years ago and only complaint was the cost.

Knowing how I applied the self stick, if I did it again I would use a spray adhesive and velvet or satin, next time, jus to save money

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

It's not exactly an on-line source, but the current issue of Woodcraft Magazine has a how-to article on this process.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I must have missed the original poster's question, but here is what I do. I've made a number of jewelry boxes and musical instrument cases. I line/pad them using foam core board, double-sided outdoor carpet tape and the cloth/velvet of your choice. You can buy foam core board at your local craft store or art supply store. I use 1/8" thick for small projects and

3/16" or 1/4" for larger projects. Depending on the thickness or nap of the cloth I cut the foam core board slightly undersize. Maybe 1/8" to 1/4" narrower for each dimension. I use outdoor double-sided carpet tape and apply a layer on one side of the foam core board. You can use varying widths of tape to cover the entire piece so there won't be any undulations in the cloth. I peel the backing off the tape and lay the taped foam core board onto the wrong side of the cloth. I flip it over and smooth out any wrinkles. Then I tape the back side of the foam core board. I trim the edges of the cloth leaving about 1" of cloth and clip the corners. Peel the backing off the tape and fold the edges of the cloth to the back side and you are done. The carpet tape left showing on the back is usually enough to stick it down. You can also run a bead of a good craft glue around the edge of the back side.

Pat

Reply to
Patrick Piper

I just asked my wife, the fabric expert, and she had several suggestions for lining boxes. First, don't use regular velvet. It's lightweight and almost flimsy. Cotton velveteen gives a velvet look and is more substantial. (Upholstery velvet is sturdier than regular velvet, but it doesn't give as lush a look.)

Second, use a glue like Fabric Tak which is designed for gluing fabric unobtrusively. Apply it thinly at critical points.

If you're really concerned about the project lasting, put a layer of acid-free cardboard between the wood and the velvet.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5