Help! Insect ID

Page 2 of 2
RicodJour wrote:

I think powder post beetles. The hole where they emerge is toothpick size but inside the excavations can be/are much larger. One thing sure, they aren't teredos :)
http://www.forestry.ubc.ca/fetch21/FRST308/lab8/hemicoelus_gibbicollis/Hemicoelus%20damage1_1.JPG
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=Powderpost%20beetles&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I agree that it doesn't look like a termite. I also don't think it did the damage you see in the photo. The walnut is just the board it happend to be on.
Dave
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Smaller than anything I've seen, but I agree with what the fellow said over on ABPW - get those boards away from the rest of your supply or you could have a disaster on your hands. Turn 'em into firewood or put them in a heated kiln for a few weeks to kill the bugs. What kind of wood were they in and what kind of wood is in the rest of your supply?
I did a cursory search and didn't pin down any particular species, but you might try looking on http://bugguide.net to see if you can figure out what kind of bugs they are. That site has an *incredible* array of photographs and resources. It didn't take me long at all to find the little bastards that wreak all the havoc with Mesquite trees here in Texas:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/37159
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Albino fleas?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I sent a copy of the picture to the University of Maryland Extension Service and got a reply. They say my bug is a "spider hatchling" and nothing to worry about.
I am pulling all my lumber off the shelves and inspecting it anyway.
Thanks everybody for your replies.
Dave

As a fellow Marylander, I appreciate the followup.
Ed
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Wonderful news!! Err,...where did all the wood damage come from?
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

You should take some of that wood and dissect it, looking for evidence of larvae still buried deep within. I bet you'll find something...
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I will cut it up on the band saw and see what I find.

I believe this board had that damage when I acquired it. The picture of the little bugger just happen to be on that board. The other one I saw (I only saw two) was on a 2x4. I bought about 200 bf of misc oak, cherry and walnut from someone in the area off of Craigslist for $50. I will certainly be more careful with what I bring into the house. I still need to inspect the cherry to make sure there is no other boards like this one.