Help in Making an Octagon

Page 2 of 2
Check again and get back to us.

Nope just need to recalibrate the visual thought processes from making a octagonal box to an octagonal solid stick.
(Been under the kitchen sink with a rodder and it is still stopped up)
Yep that would work.
Better?
But I think I would use the bandsaw.
Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /

Because when the blade is tilted at 45 degrees, the diameter of the blade is not big enough to reach thru the top of the 4" square cross section.

Do you have access to a bandsaw with a fence? Or perhaps a new tool is needed.
Mark

If you are trying to make a 15" long part that is octagonal in cross section, than I don't see why tilting the blade to 45 won't do it...if fact, it's the only way I can think of to do it without breaking out the hand planes.
IF, on the other hand, you are trying to make a FRAME that has eight sides and the pieces that make up the frame are 4"square, than you wouldn't tilt the blade, rather you would set you miter gage to 22 1/2 degrees and cut the end of the blank off, rotate the part 180 degrees and make a cut to get your first segment. Rotatecutrotatecut repeat...you should get the picture
Oh...the segments really need to be the same length and exactly 22 1/2 degrees to come out right.
OK...I just did a little layout in AutoCadd and unless you have a way to cut with zero kerf, this won't work because you don't have enough stock.
However, if you take your stock down to 3 3/4, you can just make it, if you use a thin kerf saw blade...your segment s will be a little under 3 1/8" wide...3.1066" to be precise.
Good luck Mike
Sat, Apr 14, 2007, 11:22pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (GrayFox) doth sayeth: I have a 4" square piece of wood that is 15" long. I need to make it into an octagon. A table saw with blade tilted at 45 degrees won't do it. How do I cut the corners off?
I 'guess' you could call that an octagon. Then set the table saw at some other angle. Or you could plane it. Me, I'd probably make a planer sled to do it, more fun that way.
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide) Octagon \Oc"ta*gon\, n. [Gr. ? eight-cornered; 'okta- (for 'oktw` eight) + ? an angle: cf. F. cctogone.] 1. (Geom.) A plane figure of eight sides and eight angles. [1913 Webster] 2. Any structure (as a fortification) or place with eight sides or angles. [1913 Webster] {Regular octagon}, one in which the sides are all equal, and the angles also are all equal. [1913 Webster] From WordNet (r) 2.0 (wn) octagon n : an eight-sided polygon
JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.
GrayFox wrote:
| I have a 4" square piece of wood that is 15" long. I need to make | it into an octagon. A table saw with blade tilted at 45 degrees | won't do it. How do I cut the corners off?
I have a right-tilt saw, too, and I think I'd be tempted to clamp a two-by to the table on the left side of the blade to serve as a temporary fence. I'd use the normal fence for positioning and alignment, then move it out of the way when I made the cuts...
Thank you *so* much for not wanting to cut a nonagon!
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/interest.html

LOL!
I had just about come to that conclusion myself! Thanks.

So do I and I have done this operation many times by using a piece of scrap as a sacrificial fence on the face of the normal RH fence.
Tim W

Exactly so. Or better, a 4x4 for the temporary fence (so that the last cut has some workpiece-to-fence contact area).
It's tremendously useful sometimes to have a plywood fabricated straightedge, 'cuz those of us without jointers can't find straight edges in a lumber pile.