Help ID this tool

(following text posted to abpw with photo)
My sister-in-law found this while cleaning out her garage. She didn't know what it was, and she figured I would.
She was wrong.
Anybody have any idea what this is? She says it's about 17" long, and closes up like tongs or pliers, with the ball passing through the ring.

looks like either a stretcher for upholstering, or a very old surgical retractor. (same function, different target)
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

We got it IDed last night in abpw -- it's a boot stretcher.