Help--I need a new newsreader

Page 4 of 4
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I looked into that, the problems I had were a) it requires buying a Windows license -- seems somewhat defeating of the purpose and b) having to re-compile the kernel to make it work with OpenSuse.
Someday, I may re-visit this if there is something that I absolutely have to run that doesn't have an alternative.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I already had the windows OS from previous purchase of hardware where you have no choice, so no problem. It is a very easy install with ubuntu and automatix2.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I'm using Crossover Office (a shell around WINE), some things work well, others not so well, and some not at all. For example, Lotus 123, TreePad and TaxAct work fine. I could not load TurboCAD, TaxCut, or MindManager. The Crossover web site (www.codeweavers.com) is pretty good in rating applications and has a fairly exhaustive list of what will work, what may work, and what won't.

OE used to have a huge security hole--it would try to execute plain text [1] in the middle of a UseNet article. After several years MS issued a patch.
The sheer stupidity of writing software that does that, coupled with the irresponsibility of not fixing it, is one reason why so many people avoid it and other MS products, especially those that access the internet.
[1] If a line of text began with the word 'BEGIN' and that word was followed by a certain number of spaces or linefeeds (I don't remember which), OE would try to interpret and execute whatever followed. Unless the article was written with deliberate malicious intent the effect was usually to just not display the text that followed.
Now you know why so many Usenet articles used to start with the word 'BEGIN'. Unless of course you were using OE, in which case you now know why so many appeared to be blank...
--
FF

two spaces. Actually it was an error in decoding uuencoded formated files that normally looked like this:
begin 444 filename but when the number was missing, it crashed, i.e.
begin filename
13g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I like Xnews... but you don't need just a new newsreader. You need a news provider to use with the newsreader. Your ISP may provide NNTP access, or if they're like Wildblue they'll dump you off to Google Groups.
Puckdropper

wrote in

I would second the vote for Xnews. I used to use Netscape version 5 or so, but then it got sucky. For me Xnews was closest to what I was used to. It is free.
See also news.software.readers for help.
I use Verizon's newsserver (FiOS).
--
Best regards
Han
Old Guy wrote:

As someone else has mentioned, you'll also need a news server. Many you have to pay for, but I use a free one called aioe.org. It's not perfect, but I don't see a lot of spam in the Wreck. So it does some filtering. Whatever reader you settle on ( I also use Thunderbird from mozilla.org) can help you with what aioe lets through.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.
Tanus wrote:

previously said Netscape died. I Installed FireFox and Thunderbird. I have been very satisfied with both. I also installed the Thunderbird Lightening addin Again I am very satisfied.
Both work in ways like like the old Netscape.